Spots not to miss when visiting Los Angeles

MCT Campus
MCT Campus

Los Angeles County is comprised of 4,060 square miles of developed land overflowing with restaurants, bars, clubs, stores and an estimated 10 million people. To put things into perspective, San Diego County is about 139 square miles larger than L.A., but has an estimated 6,800,000 less people.

It is understandable why sunny beach dwellers from the southern tip of California may have to take a deep breath and ponder where to even begin before spending a weekend in this condensed maze of metropolitan life. Below is a suggested path for navigating the hustle and bustle and to ensure a memorable weekend.

Start out Friday night happy hour by watching the sun set at the upscale shopping complex Santa Monica Place. Every Friday from 5 to 7 p.m. on the third level dining deck, disc jockeys spin to the setting sun while visitors and residents mingle. This soiree is located in the heart of downtown Santa Monica in the popular Third Street Promenade. This is a place full of trendy eateries from French to Indian cuisine, shops including Zara and 7 For All Mankind and live entertainment. Resident Alyssa Godfrey said her favorite happy hour restaurant in this neighborhood is Sake House because of its $2 drafts and casual upscale atmosphere.

Like dining, dancing options are vast, but LAX Nightclub offers something a bit out of the ordinary. This sleek, airplane themed club near Interstate 210 was rated by 10best.com as one of the top dance clubs in L.A. This club is “fly” to say the least, but be aware of a cover charge as much as $30 and a long line.

The next morning, head west again for a cheerful Saturday breakfast at Flake, located in Venice Beach. This relaxed, local beach café started as an organic coffee shop and cereal bar three years ago, but has expanded its menu to serve a more complete breakfast and lunch. According to owner Paige Clay, the best things about Flake are the Sambazon Acai Bowl, the killer morning music and the fact she will take care of her customers as soon as they arrive.

From there, head south on Fourth Avenue to find Abbot Kinney Boulevard, a classy Venice attraction. According to an article from Huffington Post this street is the posh, hip side of Venice for those who want to experience more than just the boardwalk. It is home to multiple art galleries including G2, a gallery that promotes environmental awareness through art. Spas and boutiques such as The TreeHouse and Bohemian Exchange flood this yuppieish street, making it a perfect place for ladies to treat themselves.

When evening falls, head to the heart of Hollywood for a concert at The Music Box. Supposedly one of the world’s top ranked venues, it has been around since the 1920s and showed “talkie” films during its early years. Today it hosts up to 20 concerts a month and is associated with organizations such as The Grammy Foundation. Depeche Mode, Stevie Wonder and Mars Volta have been guests in the past, and in the next few months artists including Friendly Fires and Afrojack will be performing.

The Music Box has gone through a few makeovers lately. The walls of the venue have been reconstructed for a better sound, and the interior was redecorated with theater curtains, art pieces and more to replicate Hollywood’s Golden Age.

After jamming out all night, hop a half block to Kitchen 24, an affordable 24-hour diner and bar with an attitude of modern, classic comfort. Try the Croissant French Toast or the Monte Cristo sandwich.

From getting a facial in the trees to dancing in a club that feels like being on an international flight, there is nothing that can’t be done in the City of Angels.