5025 Apartments

Sports

March 9, 2011

Aztecs fall short despite good offense

Written by: Beau Bearden

It has become a familiar script for the San Diego State baseball team in the last three games: Have a lead, but watch it disappear after a rally by the opponent.

That was the case once again Tuesday afternoon as CSU Northridge used a six-run rally in the bottom of the seventh to pick up a 12-9 win against SDSU at Matador Field.

“It was an unacceptable loss,” junior outfielder Brandon Meredith said. “We can’t continue to lose games that we should be winning. But our bats came to play today and that’s a positive sign.”

The Aztecs had one of their best offensive performances against the Matadors. SDSU hadn’t hit a home run since opening day, but smacked three on Tuesday. Freshman catcher Brad Haynal hit a two-run bomb in the second inning, freshman outfielder Dillon Bryant led off the third with a shot down the right field line and then junior utility player Chris Wilson gave SDSU an 8-4 lead with a solo homer in the top of the seventh.

SDSU also received an outstanding performance from Cole Swanson. In five innings of work, the freshman pitcher allowed just one run on five hits and struck out eight.

“I thought I threw well,” Swanson said. “I was just trying to do my job and keep us in the game.”

Swanson was pulled before the seventh inning when the Aztecs were unable to hold on to the lead after giving up six runs in the bottom of seventh.

SDSU will now prepare for a four-game series against No. 15 Arkansas. The Aztecs will play the first contest at 6 p.m. tonight at Tony Gwynn Stadium.

How to avoid appearing creepy to girls

Beau Bearden

by Chris Blakemore
0

by Chris Blakemore
0

Photo by Sarah Smith, Staff Photographer

Mistakes prove costly even without prize money

While PGA Tour pros were pacing the illustrious fairways of Augusta National Golf Club during the 78th Masters Tournament, the San Diego State University men’s golf team had a date of its own at the 68th Annual Western Interc...
by Rafael Avitabile
0

Photo by Elpin Keshishzadeh, staff writer

Aztecs help Relay for Life beat its fundraising goal

This past weekend, San Diego State students raised $27,577 for cancer research during the annual Relay for Life fundraiser. Relay for Life is organized by the Colleges Against Cancer club and the American Cancer Society. SDSU s...
by Elpin Keshishzadeh
0

04_14_14_Opinion_Cash_Thinkstock

Social Security or Social Insecurity? Millennials should watch out for future.

As college students, we are in a transition from young adults with little responsibility to being the next young professionals. And while we might still feel young, there are a lot of responsibilities coming our way that we mus...
by Kelly Gardner
0