Lake Havasu and SWAT know how to party spring break style

MCT Campus
MCT Campus

Looking for sunshine, entertainment and general college mayhem? This spring break, Summer Winter Action Tours is taking control of Lake Havasu, Ariz. and catering to more than 300 students looking for a good time. SWAT trips have been popular among students for winter and spring breaks. This year’s Lake Havasu location offers 400 miles of coastline and enough sun to achieve some impressive tan lines.

The trip includes three days and nights of SWAT events and concerts, as well as accommodations at one of the nearby hotels, each within walking distance of taco shops and numerous grocery and liquor stores for those looking to rage responsibly. Free shuttles to and from all events run daily. Prices vary based on time of purchase and specific accommodations; an average beachfront stay goes for around $250. For an extra charge, SWAT party buses pick up from numerous locations in the San Diego State area.

SWAT is an inexpensive way to spend spring break and is brought to students by a team of professionals who love to travel and organize action sports. More than 300 SDSU students have signed up for SWAT Havasu, which runs from March 28 through 31. SDSU SWAT representative and speech pathology sophomore Stephanie Sorrels said students are mostly excited for Steve Aoki to perform.

Other events include beach relays, reggae bands, cove parties and a contest to name SWAT’s king and queen. Some of the nighttime happenings are decked-out theme parties such as the White Trash Bash and DJ Loczi’s Electric Dream Party.

SDSU business senior Katie Simmons has participated in two SWAT trips, including last year’s Havasu haven.

“So many students go that you end up having to wait in line a lot, but it’s definitely worth it. My favorite part was all the different performers,” Simmons said.

Simmons said even though she wasn’t 21 years old at the time, she enjoyed herself and recommended the trip.

“I’d never been to Lake Havasu so it was a cheap way to explore during spring break with all my friends,” she said.

Check out SWAT’s website for available hotel rooms and bus prices. All payments are nonrefundable. Visit swatup.com for more information.