5025 Apartments

Sports

March 22, 2011

One bad SDSU inning prevents MWC sweep

Written by: Beau Bearden

Jeff Lewis / Staff Photographer

Jeff Lewis / Staff Photographer

One inning.

If it wasn’t for one inning, the San Diego State baseball team would be undefeated in Mountain West Conference play.

But that was not the case after SDSU dropped the series finale against New Mexico, 6-4, on Sunday afternoon at Tony Gwynn Stadium.

The Aztecs held a three-run lead heading into the top of the sixth inning, but that advantage quickly disappeared as the Lobos gained enough momentum to rally for five runs.

“An error started off the inning along with not throwing strikes and making plays,” junior outfielder Brandon Meredith said. “But we had plenty of missed opportunities on the offensive side, including many from myself.”

It wasn’t just the Aztecs who were unable to take advantage on offense, both teams combined for just four hits through 4.5 innings. But after putting three runs on the board in the fifth, SDSU struggled to continue its success.

The Lobos, on the other hand, were finally able to get to freshman starting pitcher Cole Swanson in the sixth. With a runner on first after a fielding error, New Mexico used a single and walk to load the bases. Then DJ Peterson doubled to left center to tie the contest at 3-3. The next two Lobo batters grounded out, but consecutive walks resulted in two more runs after Kyle Stiner singled up the middle.

New Mexico added another run in the eighth inning before the Aztecs began a comeback attempt in the bottom of the ninth. SDSU was able to score once in the inning, but that was all.

On Saturday, the Aztecs nearly let a nine-run lead evaporate, but rallied with four runs in the bottom of the eighth to defeat New Mexico, 13-10.

“Coach (Tony Gwynn) was very disappointed in our play,” Meredith said about Saturday’s game. “But (he) was very pleased that we won the game. He shared that we need to keep scoring runs and stop sitting back on our lead.”

SDSU started the contest on the right track, scoring nine runs in the bottom of the first inning on seven hits, two walks and one error.

However, the Lobos mounted their comeback early on against starting pitcher Corey Black. The sophomore lasted just 3.2 innings after giving up four runs on seven hits, along with one walk and three strikeouts.

“I got very frustrated personally while I was on the mound yesterday because the Lobos had our signs, so they knew every pitch that was coming,” Black said. “Even though I cruised through the first couple innings, I started worrying about other things besides making my next pitch. Overall, it was good to see we can come back in the last couple innings.”

The other three relievers struggled as well. But after giving up two runs in the eighth inning, senior pitcher Craig Rasmussen settled down and tossed a shutout ninth to pick up the win.

On Friday, SDSU earned a 7-4 victory against New Mexico in both teams’ MWC season opener.

“It was good to get back on track,” freshman infielder Tim Zier said. “Coaches (have) stressed all week that it’s a new season and a new start. That everyone is 0-0 now.”

Beau Bearden

Screenshot of Student Success Fee email.

Student Success Fee survey closes with low participation

The Student Success Fee survey, which was sent out for the first time April 7th, closed with 2,594 student votes last Friday. This survey was the only opportunity for the students to provide feedback on what courses they though...
by Camille Lozano
0

04_24_14_opinon_taxes_thinkstock

Students are missing out on essential life skills

The phrase “growing up” entails many things. Usually, the first aspect that comes to mind is responsibility. I’m talking about­­ real, personal responsibility, part of which is financial responsibility. Throughout the y...
by Kelly Gardner
0

04_24_14_Opinion_Coachella_WesleyBeights

Coachella is about the music, not outfits and celebrities

There are two three-day weekends in April that are filled with music, a little bit of art, trendy and ridiculous outfits, and some hot celebrities. This shindig is called Coachella, but I’m sure I didn’t need to tel...
by Sabrina Shahawi
0

04_24_14_Features_West_MonicaLinzmeier

Event will “start up” student careers

Looking for a job or internship can be a challenging task. Thankfully, San Diego State is making it easier with Start-up @ State. Hosted by the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center, the Entrepreneur Society and Startup Circle, Start-u...
by Melissa Artobello
0

Comcast Reports Quarterly Earnings Rise 16 Percent

‘Worst Company in America’ contest reveals concerning priorities

There is another bracket that’s worth some attention during March madness. It’s none other than the annual Consumerist’s Worst Company in America awards. Every year since 2010, consumers have voted and awarded the coveted...
by KC Stanfield
0