Sterling Alvarado

Sports

March 22, 2011

One bad SDSU inning prevents MWC sweep

Written by: Beau Bearden

Jeff Lewis / Staff Photographer

Jeff Lewis / Staff Photographer

One inning.

If it wasn’t for one inning, the San Diego State baseball team would be undefeated in Mountain West Conference play.

But that was not the case after SDSU dropped the series finale against New Mexico, 6-4, on Sunday afternoon at Tony Gwynn Stadium.

The Aztecs held a three-run lead heading into the top of the sixth inning, but that advantage quickly disappeared as the Lobos gained enough momentum to rally for five runs.

“An error started off the inning along with not throwing strikes and making plays,” junior outfielder Brandon Meredith said. “But we had plenty of missed opportunities on the offensive side, including many from myself.”

It wasn’t just the Aztecs who were unable to take advantage on offense, both teams combined for just four hits through 4.5 innings. But after putting three runs on the board in the fifth, SDSU struggled to continue its success.

The Lobos, on the other hand, were finally able to get to freshman starting pitcher Cole Swanson in the sixth. With a runner on first after a fielding error, New Mexico used a single and walk to load the bases. Then DJ Peterson doubled to left center to tie the contest at 3-3. The next two Lobo batters grounded out, but consecutive walks resulted in two more runs after Kyle Stiner singled up the middle.

New Mexico added another run in the eighth inning before the Aztecs began a comeback attempt in the bottom of the ninth. SDSU was able to score once in the inning, but that was all.

On Saturday, the Aztecs nearly let a nine-run lead evaporate, but rallied with four runs in the bottom of the eighth to defeat New Mexico, 13-10.

“Coach (Tony Gwynn) was very disappointed in our play,” Meredith said about Saturday’s game. “But (he) was very pleased that we won the game. He shared that we need to keep scoring runs and stop sitting back on our lead.”

SDSU started the contest on the right track, scoring nine runs in the bottom of the first inning on seven hits, two walks and one error.

However, the Lobos mounted their comeback early on against starting pitcher Corey Black. The sophomore lasted just 3.2 innings after giving up four runs on seven hits, along with one walk and three strikeouts.

“I got very frustrated personally while I was on the mound yesterday because the Lobos had our signs, so they knew every pitch that was coming,” Black said. “Even though I cruised through the first couple innings, I started worrying about other things besides making my next pitch. Overall, it was good to see we can come back in the last couple innings.”

The other three relievers struggled as well. But after giving up two runs in the eighth inning, senior pitcher Craig Rasmussen settled down and tossed a shutout ninth to pick up the win.

On Friday, SDSU earned a 7-4 victory against New Mexico in both teams’ MWC season opener.

“It was good to get back on track,” freshman infielder Tim Zier said. “Coaches (have) stressed all week that it’s a new season and a new start. That everyone is 0-0 now.”

Beau Bearden

DA-Blogs

Crazy thing called life

I’m finally beginning to understand that the only definite thing in life is death. Morbid, but true. You can plan things all you want, but there’s never a solid guarantee they’re going to happen the way you think they wil...
by Caitlin Johnson
0

Donky Pitch

New releases from the exciting Donky Pitch

As you scour through the internet for new dance music, you are bound to stumble upon an iconic  silhouette of a donkey kicking out its hind legs. That silhouette is the proud logo of the exciting electronic music label Donky P...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0

stack of movies

Happy endings, unrequited love and all that drama: How movies have ruined real-life dating

Ask me what my favorite romantic movie is and without hesitation, I’ll tell you it’s author Nicholas Sparks’ best seller-turned-cinematic-masterpiece “A Walk To Remember.” If you haven’t read the book or seen the fi...
by Victoria Valenzuela
1

04_17_14_Entertainment_DaveMustaine_TravisShinn

Two distinct musical worlds collide

Last Saturday’s performance at Copley Symphony Hall was one to remember for the those who experienced the first ever “Symphony Interrupted,” showcasing Dave Mustaine as a soloist for the San Diego Symphony. What made it u...
by Josselyn Molina
0

04_17_14_Entertainment_METALGEARSOLID_JordanPollock

‘Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes’ is short but sweet

After years of teaser trailers and the whole Moby Dick Studios thing, the first bit of “Metal Gear Solid V” has finally been released in the form of “Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.” Since its release, people hav...
by Jordan Pollock
0