Sterling Alvarado

Sports

March 22, 2011

Undefeated Sunday puts No. 9 Aztecs back on track

Written by: Antonio Morales

Playing against inferior opponents can sometimes cause a lack of focus. Luckily for the San Diego State water polo team, it came into Sunday’s game with the right mindset.

No. 9 SDSU jumped on inferior Whittier early with five goals in the first quarter, and kept attacking on its way to a 14-2 victory on Sunday at the Aztec Aquaplex.

Redshirt senior Ronni Gautschi noted the fast start was important for the team.

“We need to do that to win games,” Gautschi said. “We’ve had some problems with the first quarter, so we needed to jump on them right away.”

Junior utility Meaghan Poland stood out offensively for the Aztecs with five goals. Redshirt senior utility Ashley de Goede contributed three goals for SDSU.

But there was an unusual suspect who stood out for the Aztecs.

Back-up sophomore goalkeeper Erin Abrams received the chance to start in net and made the most of it by recording 12 saves.

Head coach Carin Crawford was pleased with Abrams’ play.

“Erin was brilliant,” Crawford said. “She had five saves in one quarter against Maryland and was blocking everything against Whittier. She is showing her maturity, she threw a couple of great passes, and she’s a great communicator out there.”

Earlier in the day, SDSU defeated Maryland 10-4. Crawford believes the Aztecs had a more well-rounded performance against the Terrapins.

“We did a better job of focusing against Maryland,” Crawford said. “We did a lot of the little things better against Maryland.”

SDSU went into halftime with a 6-1 lead against Maryland and led 10-2 after three quarters.

Gautschi and Poland scored two goals apiece for the Aztecs along with senior driver Sarah Brady.

Junior goalkeeper Kelly Campoli had 17 saves in three quarters of action, while Abrams added five saves in her quarter of playing time.

Gautschi said the team needed to jump on Maryland quickly.

“We needed to get on them right away,” Gautschi said. “We needed to set the tone for the rest of the day.”

The Aztecs improved their record to 14-9 on Sunday.

Antonio Morales

Screenshot of Student Success Fee email.

Student Success Fee survey closes with low participation

The Student Success Fee survey, which was sent out for the first time April 7th, closed with 2,594 student votes last Friday. This survey was the only opportunity for the students to provide feedback on what courses they though...
by Camille Lozano
0

04_24_14_opinon_taxes_thinkstock

Students are missing out on essential life skills

The phrase “growing up” entails many things. Usually, the first aspect that comes to mind is responsibility. I’m talking about­­ real, personal responsibility, part of which is financial responsibility. Throughout the y...
by Kelly Gardner
0

04_24_14_Opinion_Coachella_WesleyBeights

Coachella is about the music, not outfits and celebrities

There are two three-day weekends in April that are filled with music, a little bit of art, trendy and ridiculous outfits, and some hot celebrities. This shindig is called Coachella, but I’m sure I didn’t need to tel...
by Sabrina Shahawi
0

04_24_14_Features_West_MonicaLinzmeier

Event will “start up” student careers

Looking for a job or internship can be a challenging task. Thankfully, San Diego State is making it easier with Start-up @ State. Hosted by the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center, the Entrepreneur Society and Startup Circle, Start-u...
by Melissa Artobello
0

Comcast Reports Quarterly Earnings Rise 16 Percent

‘Worst Company in America’ contest reveals concerning priorities

There is another bracket that’s worth some attention during March madness. It’s none other than the annual Consumerist’s Worst Company in America awards. Every year since 2010, consumers have voted and awarded the coveted...
by KC Stanfield
0