Lyft

Opinion

April 12, 2011

City Council attempts to circumvent voters

Written by: Staff

MCT Campus

MCT Campus

In a move to further thwart the will of California voters, San Diego’s legislature is looking to approve a virtual ban on legal marijuana dispensaries within city limits. The Council aims to make legal access impossible by placing unreasonable restrictions on where dispensaries can operate.

The proposed ban requires all legal marijuana dispensaries to be at least 600 feet from schools, parks, churches, libraries and each other. Dispensaries will be restricted to mostly industrial areas far from where most consumers live. Meanwhile, the 165 already legally operating dispensaries in San Diego will be closed until they can relocate and reapply for a new permit, a process estimated to take more than a year. Many will be unable to reopen because the ban effectively limits the number of legal locations for dispensaries to operate.

This flies in the face of the voter-approved Proposition 215, which guarantees safe and legal access to medical marijuana. If the new laws are enacted, legal users will be forced to drive far out into heavily industrial areas. Not only can terminally ill patients who rely on medical marijuana simply not make that kind of a trip, but there are also other risks present. Fewer dispensaries mean more predictability, and more susceptibility to patients being followed and robbed. Even further, if legislators are actively trying to place barriers between legal users and dispensaries, it’s only logical medical users may instead turn to illegal dealers in closer proximity.

With this proposal, legislators have once again ignored the potential benefits dispensaries contribute to the city. Working to put every roadblock possible to prevent a legally functioning enterprise only wastes valuable tax dollars. Much like cigarettes and alcohol, taxing medical marijuana could contribute millions of dollars to a stagnant and suffering city budget. San Diego is on the verge of bankruptcy; we’re laying off teachers, “browning out” our fire and police departments and have potholes the size of Smart cars. But naturally it’s medical marijuana that represents the greatest threat to “America’s Finest City,” right?

We should instead look up to Oakland, which in 2009 was the first to institute a tax on medical marijuana sales. In just one year, the modest tax of $18 for every $1,000 of medical marijuana sold brought in an estimated $300,000 in new revenue. A similar tax could easily be enacted in San Diego, which accounts has far more dispensaries than Oakland. Annually, a 10 percent tax on gross marijuana sales could easily result in millions of dollars in new tax revenue.

We’re in the worst budget crisis our city has ever seen, with a legal, untapped source of revenue. Can anyone tell me why we’re not capitalizing on this?

This common sense approach is a win–win for everyone involved. The city gets a much-needed new revenue stream, dispensaries and business owners are allowed to stay open and medical users can continue to purchase marijuana in a safe, legal way. Unfortunately, the ideology of a few city councilmen is keeping the city legislature from a simple and smart solution.

I’m not claiming everyone with a medical marijuana card is a cancer patient or even seriously ill. Many sufferers of “headaches” and “insomnia” have applied for and received cards. But there are still many users with a legitimate need for medical marijuana. Many patients have vocally defended their right to safe access by attending rallies and delivering speeches to the city council. But fears of kush-crazed 20-somethings roaming the city streets with bloodshot eyes and a hunger for Mexican food have drowned out all else. Ironically, it’s our city council that has reefer madness in this situation.

The actual demographics of cardholders shouldn’t even make a difference. When voters took to the polls in 1996, they understood the risk of medical marijuana abuse. Yet they voted to approve medical marijuana anyway. To pretend the abuse is a new phenomenon that justifies a de facto ban on a legal industry is disingenuous and ignores the clear will of California’s voters.

City legislators worry that if we allow medical marijuana to remain legal, crime and vandalism will skyrocket. However, the only real crime on the rise has been the shameless manipulation of laws by the San Diego City Council. It has driven the city to the ground for its own gains. Here is a chance for it to solve part of our budget crisis. Whether our legislators can sober up and do the right thing, however, remains to be seen.

— Leonardo Castaneda is an economics and journalism freshman.

— The views expressed in this column do not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.

Staff

by Chris Blakemore
0

by Chris Blakemore
0

Photo by Jenna Mackey, senior staff photographer

Kearny Mesa spices up San Diego

The Kearny Mesa area is about a 15 minute drive from campus. With more than 20 coffee places, grocery stores and eateries within a mile of each other, Kearny Mesa is easily accessible for foot travelers. The area has lots of e...
by Michelle Monroy
0

Photo courtesy of Thinkstock

Easy living down by the beach

As a Northern California native, the idea of living near the beach was always a distant dream until I got my acceptance letter to San Diego State. Even now that I live in San Diego, the sun-soaked beach towns have not lost thei...
by Hannah Beausang
0

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, photo editor

Living at the Residence Halls

With a major residence hall temporarily closing, first-time freshmen and upperclassmen will have expanded housing options going into fall 2014. The Zura Residence Hall is set to close for reconstruction beginning May 2014 and r...
by Jaclyn Palumbo
0

1. Justin Doorman

This article reads like the rambling rant of a stoner. 600 feet away from libraries, schools, etc. will be “too far to drive”? They’ll be followed and robbed? It will solve the budget crisis? Dude, don’t write your articles when you’re stoned.

• AlumAztec420

You are ignorant. Read the proposal. Every dispensary will have to shut down as a result and over 90% of them wont be able to afford the moving costs, re-startup costs and licensing fees (now in excess of $11,000!

Look, I have no doubt you’ll keep talking and telling people it’s bad and only stoners want it and all that uneducated ignorant crap. Just remember no matter how much you bitch, whine and call names you still won’t be right. It’s safer than alcohol, cigarettes… EVEN COFFEE (thousands die every year from COFFEE! Zero from marijuana). Why is it always the angry, fearful mobs who want to try and protect us from things that don’t hurt anyone (except maybe the user).

You’re not an American if you believe you have the right to decide what I do with my body. That is not what America is about.

• Brandyn

Justin your comment shows just shows how ignorant of this subject you really are. Instead of reading up on the subject itself and every article you select just this one and make a off the wall comments that really have no support except for it being your opinion.

Lets discuss your first point the 600 feet buffer zone. If you look through other articles or maybe talked to some medical marijuana collectives or patients you would know this isn’t the issue (in fact most dispensaries are okay with it). What the real issue here is the zoning and where the city council has decided these places should operate. The new proposed areas on unincorporated San Diego are too little making it hard to have cooperatives even in exsistence. Oh by the way did you know the newly proposed zoned areas have less than 100 units for rent and the owners of some of these units will not rent to a medical marijuana dispensary…

Next lets talk about too far to drive – what about the people who are too sick to drive? What about people who don’t own a car or don’t have a license? I myself take the bus and personally wouldn’t want to spend 3 hours plus one way – making the commute just to get my medicine.

“Followed and robbed” was another one of your comments – well like any other business or like going to the ATM to withdraw money – if you have something of value on your person another individual might be willing to rob you of those items.

AND LASTLY how it would solve the budget crisis… Well since your really uninformed on this subject let me drop some knowledge on you Justin – last year the tax revenue from medical marijuana collected in 14 states was 1.7 billion dollars the equivelent to Phizers Viagra. Or how bout the Gov. of CO (Bill Ritter) taking the 9 million dollars of money collected from medical marijuana collectives-cooperatives-dispensaries (whatever you want to call them) and using it to solve the budget crisis in Colorado. He took the state out of the red and into the black with money from Medical Marijuana Collectives. And just in case you need some proof of either items mentioned in the last paragraph here are the links:

healthland.time.com/2011/03/24/medical-marijuana-sales-rival-viagras-new-report/

newsfirst5.com/news/medical-pot-brings-in-money-but-how-much-/

tokeofthetown.com/2010/08/governor_dislikes_medical_marijuana_but_likes_tax.php

I think you should stop hating on the author for sounding stoned and step up your game – get some knowledge about the subject at hand – then comment.