Sterling Alvarado

Sports

April 14, 2011

Key assistant leaves SDSU for Las Vegas

Written by: Edward Lewis

Assistant coach Justin Hutson, a valuable recruiter and defensive guru, left SDSU for UNLV on Monday. Antonio Zaragoza / Photo Editor

The San Diego State men’s basketball team and its fans knew next season’s squad would have a very different look. With five seniors set to graduate and star forward Kawhi Leonard a possible NBA Lottery Pick, there was already plenty of uncertainty surrounding next year’s team.

But earlier this week, an unexpected departure rocked the Aztecs, and could change the entire complexion of the 2011-12 SDSU basketball team.

Assistant coach Justin Hutson, who was largely responsible for bringing in players such as Leonard, Tim Shelton, D.J. Gay and Billy White, left the Aztecs to accept a promotion and pay raise at UNLV.

“It was tough to leave those guys,” Hutson told the Las Vegas Review-Journal after his hiring. “I had recruited a lot of them and there were a lot of tears when I met with them (Monday).

“But this is one of the best jobs in the country and it’s a storied program. To come to Vegas and work for someone like Dave Rice, it’s a dream come true.”

With former UNLV head coach Lon Kruger departing for Oklahoma, UNLV turned to BYU assistant coach Dave Rice to run its basketball program. Rice immediately targeted Hutson, a man considered the mastermind behind SDSU’s suffocating defense, as his top assistant.

“(Hutson) is as good a recruiter as there is,” Rice told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “Justin did an unbelievable job at San Diego State. Not only did he recruit most of their players, he did a great job coaching and he can teach the game.”

National outlets report Hutson will make nearly double the $95,000 he made as SDSU’s No. 2 assistant. He will also reportedly garner the title of associate head coach, which puts him one step closer to landing a head coaching gig sometime in the future.

But the move puts a serious dent in the Aztecs chances at a repeat Sweet 16 run.

“Damn Coach Hutson really gone smh (shaking my head) ima miss that man!!!” sophomore guard Xavier Thames tweeted after he heard the news.

“Justin has been with us for five years,” head coach Steve Fisher told The San Diego Union-Tribune. “He’s done a great job. He’s been a valuable, valuable part of this program in every regard. He’s very good — very good. He will be missed greatly.”

Edward Lewis

DA-Blogs

Crazy thing called life

I’m finally beginning to understand that the only definite thing in life is death. Morbid, but true. You can plan things all you want, but there’s never a solid guarantee they’re going to happen the way you think they wil...
by Caitlin Johnson
0

Donky Pitch

New releases from the exciting Donky Pitch

As you scour through the internet for new dance music, you are bound to stumble upon an iconic  silhouette of a donkey kicking out its hind legs. That silhouette is the proud logo of the exciting electronic music label Donky P...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0

stack of movies

Happy endings, unrequited love and all that drama: How movies have ruined real-life dating

Ask me what my favorite romantic movie is and without hesitation, I’ll tell you it’s author Nicholas Sparks’ best seller-turned-cinematic-masterpiece “A Walk To Remember.” If you haven’t read the book or seen the fi...
by Victoria Valenzuela
1

04_17_14_Entertainment_DaveMustaine_TravisShinn

Two distinct musical worlds collide

Last Saturday’s performance at Copley Symphony Hall was one to remember for the those who experienced the first ever “Symphony Interrupted,” showcasing Dave Mustaine as a soloist for the San Diego Symphony. What made it u...
by Josselyn Molina
0

04_17_14_Entertainment_METALGEARSOLID_JordanPollock

‘Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes’ is short but sweet

After years of teaser trailers and the whole Moby Dick Studios thing, the first bit of “Metal Gear Solid V” has finally been released in the form of “Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.” Since its release, people hav...
by Jordan Pollock
0