Percussive prowess on display in ‘STOMP’

The incredibly talented cast of “STOMP” gave yet another fantastic performance to their adoring San Diego fans. Courtesy of Joan Marcus

Audiences had a smashing good time last week for the limited performances of “STOMP,” the percussive theater performance.

The show started with a lone, mohawked man in industrial worker’s clothes pushing a broom. But within minutes, seven other broom-pushers had joined, resulting in a rhythmic clean-up routine as each worker hit, slammed and moved their broom to create a cadence. When the brooms no longer sufficed, the performers slapped their bodies and stomped their feet in order to create the perfect beat.

The scenario continued into a choreographed routine with wooden poles, which never ceased to amaze the crowd as the actors played out samurai sword-fighting scenes while still sounding melodious.

The show, however, was not simply a concert of oddly created music. The performers each represented different characters with diverse personalities, even though no words were spoken throughout the entire performance. The mild storyline contributed many humorous moments to the spectacle; often a performer’s quirky stunts would keep the audience on its toes with unexpected gestures.

The cast never faltered during its routines, even when performing with such props as sinks (actually filled with water), lighters, plastic buckets, trash bags and the inner tubes of tractor tires. It’s a wonder how creators Luke Cresswell and Steve McNicholas were able to construct such entertaining melodies with common household items, and how the “STOMP” performers are able to translate this into such an astounding performance. On a weekly basis, the cast uses 12 boxes of matches, 288 liters of water, 30 brooms, 40 newspapers, 10 garbage can lids, three ballpoint pens and a mélange of other objects — but never once uses an actual drum.

The most mesmerizing act is the finale, in which every performer comes booming onto the stage with a metal trash can. Props are quickly switched throughout the scene, creating a never-ending masterpiece of harmonious noise. There is always something to look at as the cast members are constantly moving, dancing, clapping, stomping or beating something. The ensemble even uses audience participation to propel certain moments.

“STOMP” has performed in more than 350 cities in 36 countries worldwide since the North American Tour started in 1995. The show was an absolute delight for everyone in the audience and presented a unique, infectious theater experience.

For more information about “STOMP,” visit stomponline.com.