5025 Apartments

Features

April 28, 2011

TailGate Beer brews craft flavor into a can

Written by: Miranda Adler

Courtesy of tailgatebeer.com

Courtesy of tailgatebeer.com

TailGate Beer, founded by San Diego State alumnus Wesley Keegan, is stirring things up in the world of craft beer. San Diego’s first craft beer offered in a can, TGB is nonpareil in its original flavor, portability and price, created for the enjoyment of every type of drinker.

While Keegan was completing his last year at SDSU, the inevitable “What am I going to do with my life?” dilemma plagued the casual home brewer. It wasn’t until his late father suggested he take his ale affinity further that Keegan put his drive into TGB. After gaining some serious recognition at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver, Keegan knew he was on the right track.

“I just tried brewing beer that I would like to drink,” Keegan said, “I would never call myself a brewmaster.”

Founded in 2007, TGB began humbly enough with Keegan spreading the word about his beer door-to-door and to the bars around campus. He promoted his name by participating in numerous beer contests and festivals and continued to receive kudos about the taste of TGB.

TGB touts an “easy drinking” Blacktop Blonde and Hefeweizen, both available year-round in 12 oz. cans sold by the six-pack and on draft. Limited release Amber Wave, Brown Ale and IPA ABV are offered on draft only.

In January, TGB became the first San Diego craft beer released in cans. But why shake things up and begin offering the creations in an aluminum setting? Glass isn’t always permitted and the quality of portable ale wasn’t always up to par, according to Keegan.

“When my dad and I would tailgate we would bring serious food,” Keegan said. “I’m talking seafood and steaks. The beer’s got to taste good too.”

Keegan venerated growing up in the craft haven of San Diego for his inspiration and refined beer palette. He noted that in order to stand out, many craft breweries find it necessary to have outrageous names and crazy ingredients. The price, he said, can also limit consumers. For this reason, a six-pack of TGB is sold for no more than $7.99, depending on the vendor. Keegan wants to make TGB easily accessible to students 21 and older. Six-packs are available at Whole Foods Market, Louie’s Suds N’ Sun Pub in Aztec Center and La Casita.

Keegan is always looking to expand student involvement. Volunteer and intern positions are available for the summer. To learn more about TGB, visit tailgatebeer.com and follow TGB on Twitter at @tailgatebeer.

Miranda Adler

DA-Blogs

Crazy thing called life

I’m finally beginning to understand that the only definite thing in life is death. Morbid, but true. You can plan things all you want, but there’s never a solid guarantee they’re going to happen the way you think they wil...
by Caitlin Johnson
0

Donky Pitch

New releases from the exciting Donky Pitch

As you scour through the internet for new dance music, you are bound to stumble upon an iconic  silhouette of a donkey kicking out its hind legs. That silhouette is the proud logo of the exciting electronic music label Donky P...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0

stack of movies

Happy endings, unrequited love and all that drama: How movies have ruined real-life dating

Ask me what my favorite romantic movie is and without hesitation, I’ll tell you it’s author Nicholas Sparks’ best seller-turned-cinematic-masterpiece “A Walk To Remember.” If you haven’t read the book or seen the fi...
by Victoria Valenzuela
1

04_17_14_Entertainment_DaveMustaine_TravisShinn

Two distinct musical worlds collide

Last Saturday’s performance at Copley Symphony Hall was one to remember for the those who experienced the first ever “Symphony Interrupted,” showcasing Dave Mustaine as a soloist for the San Diego Symphony. What made it u...
by Josselyn Molina
0

04_17_14_Entertainment_METALGEARSOLID_JordanPollock

‘Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes’ is short but sweet

After years of teaser trailers and the whole Moby Dick Studios thing, the first bit of “Metal Gear Solid V” has finally been released in the form of “Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.” Since its release, people hav...
by Jordan Pollock
0