5025 Apartments

Entertainment

June 26, 2011

‘Lantern’ doesn’t shine

Written by: Allie Daugherty

Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures

Superheroes have been no strangers to the silver screen, and it seems each new installment of a comic book-turned-movie has higher standards to live up to. While this summer’s “Green Lantern” has had to compete with both “X-Men: First Class” and “Thor” at the box office, it still lives up to most expectations of comic book geeks and summer movie fans alike.

The movie follows the story of cocky test pilot Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds), who is chosen by a powerful ring when its previous owner is killed. The ring, charged by its accompanying lantern, gives Hal the power to create anything with his mind. As one of Hal’s trainers explains, “The ring turns thought into reality. The only limits are what you can imagine.”

But owning the ring also means being a member of the Green Lantern Corps., a group of intergalactic beings tasked with keeping peace within the universe. This becomes Hal’s newest responsibility.

The greatest aspect of the movie is its ability to make fun of itself. One of the characters acknowledges that “The superhero always gets the girl,” and no one is fooled by Hal’s skimpy mask attempting to hide his identity. Hal’s love interest Carol Ferris (Blake Lively) even cries out incredulously that she can’t believe he thought no one would recognize him just because they couldn’t see his cheekbones.

Just like any other superhero movie, the beginning is slow in order to establish background. However, the plot never ceases to captivate and provides only what fans need to know to fully understand the story. The visuals are always stunning and the special effects are spectacular.

However, the movie is not without its faults. The villain in the story, Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard), is underwhelming in comparison to villains such as those from “Batman” or “Spiderman.” And the addition of a second monster, known as Parallax, only causes the plot to become disjointed and places less importance on each individual antagonist.

The romance between Hal and Carol also seems forced and irrelevant, but provides some good damsel-in-distress moments necessary to any hero’s rise to power.

Overall, the movie is worth watching just for the visually striking scenes that take place on the planet Oa, where the Green Lantern Corps. meets and trains. The space setting of “Green Lantern,” and Hal’s more intellectual powers, also make this movie lighter than most others of its kind. It is an entertaining movie that stays true to its comic book roots.

Allie Daugherty

Screenshot of Student Success Fee email.

Student Success Fee survey closes with low participation

The Student Success Fee survey, which was sent out for the first time April 7th, closed with 2,594 student votes last Friday. This survey was the only opportunity for the students to provide feedback on what courses they though...
by Camille Lozano
0

04_24_14_opinon_taxes_thinkstock

Students are missing out on essential life skills

The phrase “growing up” entails many things. Usually, the first aspect that comes to mind is responsibility. I’m talking about­­ real, personal responsibility, part of which is financial responsibility. Throughout the y...
by Kelly Gardner
0

04_24_14_Opinion_Coachella_WesleyBeights

Coachella is about the music, not outfits and celebrities

There are two three-day weekends in April that are filled with music, a little bit of art, trendy and ridiculous outfits, and some hot celebrities. This shindig is called Coachella, but I’m sure I didn’t need to tel...
by Sabrina Shahawi
0

04_24_14_Features_West_MonicaLinzmeier

Event will “start up” student careers

Looking for a job or internship can be a challenging task. Thankfully, San Diego State is making it easier with Start-up @ State. Hosted by the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center, the Entrepreneur Society and Startup Circle, Start-u...
by Melissa Artobello
0

Comcast Reports Quarterly Earnings Rise 16 Percent

‘Worst Company in America’ contest reveals concerning priorities

There is another bracket that’s worth some attention during March madness. It’s none other than the annual Consumerist’s Worst Company in America awards. Every year since 2010, consumers have voted and awarded the coveted...
by KC Stanfield
0