Sterling Alvarado

Entertainment

June 26, 2011

‘Lantern’ doesn’t shine

Written by: Allie Daugherty

Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures

Superheroes have been no strangers to the silver screen, and it seems each new installment of a comic book-turned-movie has higher standards to live up to. While this summer’s “Green Lantern” has had to compete with both “X-Men: First Class” and “Thor” at the box office, it still lives up to most expectations of comic book geeks and summer movie fans alike.

The movie follows the story of cocky test pilot Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds), who is chosen by a powerful ring when its previous owner is killed. The ring, charged by its accompanying lantern, gives Hal the power to create anything with his mind. As one of Hal’s trainers explains, “The ring turns thought into reality. The only limits are what you can imagine.”

But owning the ring also means being a member of the Green Lantern Corps., a group of intergalactic beings tasked with keeping peace within the universe. This becomes Hal’s newest responsibility.

The greatest aspect of the movie is its ability to make fun of itself. One of the characters acknowledges that “The superhero always gets the girl,” and no one is fooled by Hal’s skimpy mask attempting to hide his identity. Hal’s love interest Carol Ferris (Blake Lively) even cries out incredulously that she can’t believe he thought no one would recognize him just because they couldn’t see his cheekbones.

Just like any other superhero movie, the beginning is slow in order to establish background. However, the plot never ceases to captivate and provides only what fans need to know to fully understand the story. The visuals are always stunning and the special effects are spectacular.

However, the movie is not without its faults. The villain in the story, Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard), is underwhelming in comparison to villains such as those from “Batman” or “Spiderman.” And the addition of a second monster, known as Parallax, only causes the plot to become disjointed and places less importance on each individual antagonist.

The romance between Hal and Carol also seems forced and irrelevant, but provides some good damsel-in-distress moments necessary to any hero’s rise to power.

Overall, the movie is worth watching just for the visually striking scenes that take place on the planet Oa, where the Green Lantern Corps. meets and trains. The space setting of “Green Lantern,” and Hal’s more intellectual powers, also make this movie lighter than most others of its kind. It is an entertaining movie that stays true to its comic book roots.

Allie Daugherty

DA-Features

Rimmel London’s Retro Cab will beautify stressed out students

When girls pick a hair tie instead of a ceramic curling iron and sweat pants instead of their favorite pair of skinny jeans, you know finals are fast approaching. Rimmel London is currently on a campus tour and is glamming its ...
by Michelle Monroy
0

by Chris Blakemore
0

by Chris Blakemore
0

Photo by Sarah Smith, Staff Photographer

Mistakes prove costly even without prize money

While PGA Tour pros were pacing the illustrious fairways of Augusta National Golf Club during the 78th Masters Tournament, the San Diego State University men’s golf team had a date of its own at the 68th Annual Western Interc...
by Rafael Avitabile
0

Photo by Elpin Keshishzadeh, staff writer

Aztecs help Relay for Life beat its fundraising goal

This past weekend, San Diego State students raised $27,577 for cancer research during the annual Relay for Life fundraiser. Relay for Life is organized by the Colleges Against Cancer club and the American Cancer Society. SDSU s...
by Elpin Keshishzadeh
0