5025 Apartments

Daily Aztec Stories

July 24, 2011

Aztecs beginning to feel watch list love

Written by: Antonio Morales

The first bowl victory since 1969 and first winning season since 1998 are still paying dividends for the San Diego State football team.

The success enjoyed by the Aztecs last season put the country on notice and respect has been shown to the team this offseason.

Sophomore running back Ronnie Hillman, senior quarterback RyanLindley, senior linebacker Miles Burris and senior kicker Abelado Perez have all received attention from many award watch lists.

Hillman, who was a freshman All-American and ran for 1,532 yards to go along with 17 touchdowns, was named to the Doak Walker, Walter Camp and Maxwell Award Watch Lists.

Lindley is a candidate for the Maxwell Award and Davey O’Brien Award. The four-year starter also received high praise from NFL Draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. this offseason. Kiper listed him as the top senior quarterback in the nation.
Lindley knows even though he is in the running for individual awards, he wouldn’t be in this position without the help of his teammates.

“I look at it as more of a team thing, not an individual level,” Lindley said. “I’m confident in my skills but I know we wouldn’t get the same recognition if we were losing.”

Perez represents the special teams portion of the team that was named to a watch list, as he is in the running for the Lou Groza Award after he cashed in on 17 of his 22 field goal attempts a year ago.

Burris is the only defensive player on the team who received award consideration. The linebacker received attention from the Bronko Nagurski, Rotary Lombardi and Butkus Award Watch Lists.

Burris led the team in tackles (80), tackles for loss (20) and sacks (9.5) last year. He is the first Aztec to be named to all three lists since former SDSU linebacker and current Jacksonville Jaguar Kirk Morrison.

Like Lindley, Burris gives credit to his teammates for his success.

“It feels great, it’s definitely a big honor,” Burris said. “But the majority of it deals with the people around me. I’m fortunate enough to play in a great scheme that allows me to make plays. I couldn’t do it without my teammates.”

Antonio Morales

Tony Gwynn

Tony Gwynn takes leave of absence

San Diego State head baseball coach and Major League Baseball Hall of Famer Tony Gywnn, has taken a leave of absence from coaching, dating back to March 24 due to medical conditions. Growing up in San Diego a huge Padres fan, G...
by Ryan Posner
0

04_24_14_Entertainment_Wondercon2_DavidDixon

Enjoying all aspects of pop culture in Anaheim

People who religiously attend Comic-Con in San Diego as I do are probably familiar with WonderCon in Anaheim. While I’ve known about it for years, I was not exactly sure what to expect upon entering the Anaheim Convention Cen...
by David Dixon
0

04_24_14_Entertainment_FifthBeatle_DavidDixon

Learning about ‘The Fifth Beatle’

Vivek J. Tiwary is the writer of the graphic novel, “The Fifth Beatle,” and a producer of many successful plays and musicals including “American Idiot” and “The Producers.” He will be writing the script to the film ...
by David Dixon
0

DA-Entertainment

Get your fix at the Vinyl Junkies Record Swap

Finding new records should be more than a simple shopping trip. For those looking to hang out as you shop for your favorite music, a visit to Vinyl Junkies Record Swap gets you more than new vinyl in your collection. The bi-mon...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0

DA-Crime

Crime on campus

Deadly weapon assault A man was arrested Sunday morning for assaulting San Diego State students at the Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity house. The individual was in possession of a deadly weapon at the time of the assault. It is uncl...
by Quinn Owen
0