Sterling Alvarado

July 10, 2011

SDSU leads the way to new opportunities

Written by: Arturo Garcia Sierra

A notable shortage of U.S. engineers and biomedical scientists and an aging workforce in such fields has led many corporations to fund a project to encourage preteens and teens from middle and high schools to become America’s future engineering and biomed college students. San Diego State is hosting Project Lead the Way Summer Training Program for Teachers which began on July 3 and will continue through Friday. The program trains middle and high school teachers.

It was started by a businessman who owned several engineering companies and was having a hard time hiring engineers. According to Bruce Westermo, SDSU’s PLTW director and engineering professor, the U.S. is falling behind many leading industrial countries mainly because of the shortage of U.S.-born engineers. As some companies require workers to be U.S. citizens, progress remains halted.

According to Westermo, NASA paid for two of the engineering programs PLTW offers. Most of the program’s funding is from private industry. Chevron is spending more than one million dollars per year in California, and Qualcomm has funded programs in the past.

“(The companies funding the program) are the people that want to hire the kids that get out of this,” Westermo said. “They want to fund California because they have a tough time bringing people from out of state because of the pricey living.”

Forty schools in San Diego County are part of the program. Among them are Patrick Henry, Castle Park, Eastlake, Coronado, and Morris, Madison and Scripps Ranch from the San Diego Unified District, which Westermo said has a strong engineering program.

SDSU is in charge of the program in California.

As the courses satisfy high school curriculum, students have benefited. According to Westermo, instead of taking drama, a high school student could take a 3-D solid modeling design software class to satisfy the same requirement.

“We don’t want to convert every student into an engineer or scientist,” Westermo said. “But we do want to show them the

opportunity.”

Arturo Garcia Sierra
Arturo Garcia Sierra is a biliterate journalism student at San Diego State. He is the assistant news editor at The Daily Aztec and managing editor of Mundo Azteca, the organization's Spanish-language content.

DA-Blogs

Crazy thing called life

I’m finally beginning to understand that the only definite thing in life is death. Morbid, but true. You can plan things all you want, but there’s never a solid guarantee they’re going to happen the way you think they wil...
by Caitlin Johnson
0

Donky Pitch

New releases from the exciting Donky Pitch

As you scour through the internet for new dance music, you are bound to stumble upon an iconic  silhouette of a donkey kicking out its hind legs. That silhouette is the proud logo of the exciting electronic music label Donky P...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0

stack of movies

Happy endings, unrequited love and all that drama: How movies have ruined real-life dating

Ask me what my favorite romantic movie is and without hesitation, I’ll tell you it’s author Nicholas Sparks’ best seller-turned-cinematic-masterpiece “A Walk To Remember.” If you haven’t read the book or seen the fi...
by Victoria Valenzuela
1

04_17_14_Entertainment_DaveMustaine_TravisShinn

Two distinct musical worlds collide

Last Saturday’s performance at Copley Symphony Hall was one to remember for the those who experienced the first ever “Symphony Interrupted,” showcasing Dave Mustaine as a soloist for the San Diego Symphony. What made it u...
by Josselyn Molina
0

04_17_14_Entertainment_METALGEARSOLID_JordanPollock

‘Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes’ is short but sweet

After years of teaser trailers and the whole Moby Dick Studios thing, the first bit of “Metal Gear Solid V” has finally been released in the form of “Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.” Since its release, people hav...
by Jordan Pollock
0