5025 Apartments

Entertainment

July 10, 2011

Young the Giant crafts relatable, catchy gems

Written by: Chris Pocock

Courtesy of youngthegiant.com

Courtesy of youngthegiant.com

Normally it takes at least a few good listens of an album before its greatness can be determined.

In the case of Young the Giant’s self-titled album, it takes all of 10 seconds. And for good reason: The CD is ripe with harmonies, thoughtful lyrics and a sound that changes, evolves, thickens and restructures throughout. Be wary — this is no Justin Bieber album; it is, however, easily one of the finest albums of the year, and one not likely to escape the confines of any CD player once inserted.

The all-out blitz of indie rock songs starts off with “Apartment,” a song that intimately captures the feeling of being completely alone. But what could very easily be a deeply despondent and clichéd song about a bleeding heart remains anything but. Using complex layered harmonies during the chorus, lead singer Sameer Gadhia’s “oh’s” and “whoa’s” balance the song’s upbeat tempo, keeping the song fresh and resounding. What results could be the musical offspring of The Temper Trap and Maroon 5, and one of the best songs on the album.

However, “Apartment” is only the beginning. Following is “My Body,” perhaps Young the Giant’s most commercially successful song and the rocking-est track of the album. Dueling guitar riffs roar, spring-loaded drumbeats pound and soaring vocals charge through the chorus: “My body tells me no, but I won’t quit. ‘Cause I want more, I want more.”

Each of the songs that follow “My Body” adds its own depth: “I Got” features a sort of rhythmic repetition that carries easily through. “Cough Syrup” plays like a scaled-back “My Body,” but finds equilibrium between the song’s raw energy and poetic lyrics. “St. Walker” seems to be the deepest lyrically, comparing a friend’s whoring to drowning in deep water. While every track on the album lyrically tackles a different subject, nothing described is entirely foreign to anyone listening. Politics or other divisive topics have no place on the album. Instead, more relatable feelings such as love, loss, rebuilding and rising above are themes that bind the album into one sweet musical package.

Truth be told, Young the Giant isn’t a newcomer to the field. Previously known as The Jakes, the core of Young the Giant has been around since 2004. But its songs are different from those on The Jakes’ last EP, “Shake My Hand.” Reinvented, resolute and more confident, Young the Giant has solidified its place among this year’s up-and-comers. The band has seen quite a bit of success since its album dropped in January. “My Body” made it to No. 4 on Billboard’s Top 40 for alternative rock, and Young the Giant has been a festival favorite at venues such as South by Southwest and Sasquatch! Music Festival.

So far, the band has been mum on when its next album will drop. What is known, however, is what the band members have going for them: They’re young, they’re giant and they’re going places.

Chris Pocock

04_17_14_Entertainment_METALGEARSOLID_JordanPollock

‘Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes’ is short but sweet

After years of teaser trailers and the whole Moby Dick Studios thing, the first bit of “Metal Gear Solid V” has finally been released in the form of “Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.” Since its release, people hav...
by Jordan Pollock
0

DA-Entertainment

Classixx spins smooth house music on Friday night

The high-energy brand of dance music heard at popular raves may not appeal to every dance music fan. For those looking for a smooth alternative, don’t fret. On Friday, April 18, house music duo Classixx will play at nightclub...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0

Photo by Kelly Smiley, Staff Photographer

Men’s tennis falls to No. 22 Boise State

The San Diego State men’s tennis 12-match regular season conference-winning streak came to a screeching halt last Saturday. The team failed to complete the improbable comeback against No. 22 Boise State University, 4-3, at Ap...
by Anthony Reclusado
0

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, Photo Editor

MBA program rated among best for women in the U.S.

Professional Woman’s Magazine featured San Diego State as one of the top universities and listed the College of Business Administration as a top M.B.A. program for women this month. The magazine creates the list after evaluat...
by Raquel Herriott
0

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, Photo Editor

Fulbright might get $30.5 million cut

President Barack Obama proposed a $30.5 million budget cut to the Fulbright program in his 2015 budget proposal, potentially increasing the already competitive nature of the scholarships. San Diego State sends many Fulbright re...
by Michelle Monroy
0