Local parks offer great picnic options

Presidio Park

Our fair city boasts a wealth of parks to enjoy the San Diego sun. Beyond the crowded beaches and tourist havens, a number of hidden gems provide parkgoers with peaceful surroundings and impressive vistas. Nestled on a hillside overlooking Pacific Beach, Kate O. Sessions Memorial Park provides breathtaking views of Mission Bay with downtown San Diego in the distance. The sloped grassy landscape feels more like lawn seating at an amphitheater where the main attraction is America’s Finest City itself.

And nothing improves a view like good food in the belly. Picnics offer a uniquely relaxing way to enjoy the park scenery, whether the meal is a spread of fine meats and cheeses or a simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

For a fun and healthy picnic experience, stop by one of San Diego’s many farmers markets to pick up unique ethnic cuisines or the freshest fruits and veggies. There are a number of options for conveniently located farmers markets around San Diego State. City Heights Farmers Market, which operates from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday, is located a short distance west of SDSU on Fairmount Avenue and Wightman Street.

Mission Bay Park provides a more coastal picnic experience and space to play soccer, football or Frisbee on the open grass or volleyball on the sand courts. Outdoor-loving picnickers can earn their meal with a hike up the scenic canyons and hills of Mission Trails Regional Park just north of Montezuma Mesa.

For other great picnic spots, try exploring Sunset Cliffs on the coast south of Ocean Beach, Presidio Park west of SDSU on a hill off of Interstate 8 or the many quieter spots hidden from tourist traffic within the massive grounds of Balboa Park.

Local parks offer great picnic options