Feed Your Brain

Photo courtesy of Dasha Sakharova

We’re almost halfway through the semester. You know what that means — midterms.

It’s officially my seventh week as a graduate student, and I am just now starting to get a grip of the pace, my schedule and priorities. That means spending longer hours glued to my laptop and peeling eyes on endless textbook pages.

Days are flying by faster, my snack choice is worsening and an urge to cuddle up on a sofa for a cat nap is getting more and more enticing. It seems just as we corral the enormous amount of class material, midterms sneak up on us out of nowhere.

I can’t share the best strategy for studying, but I can offer some suggestions on staying healthy and energized during a stressful week.

1. Water. It’s a known fact that hydration is imperative for your brain and other vital organs, but we often dismiss telltale signs of dehydration. Drink more H2O and avoid filling up on sugar-rich carbonated drinks. Their effect is swift but ephemeral.
  2. Raisins, blueberries, raw nuts and dark chocolate. Eating proteins and antioxidants in this healthy quartet will strengthen your long-term memory and help you focus.
  3. Veggies. You can never go wrong with a salad for lunch or dinner. If you’re taking a break between studying sessions, choose rabbit food over a heavy meal. Post-prandial somnolence — more commonly known as food coma — is inevitable with the latter, but a healthy dose of your favorite vegetables will satiate you and boost your energy.

Click here for additional suggestions on energy-boosting snacks.

Don’t be afraid to yawn and take naps if the urge is too strong to suppress. Yawning cools your brain and napping regenerates it. Figure out what nap time works best for you and how long you should nap to feel the most invigorated. Finally, try setting a timer on your phone so you don’t oversleep and feel groggy.

Good luck!

Remember:  You know more than you think you do!

Feed Your Brain