Sterling Alvarado

Sports

October 3, 2011

Ongaro leads Aztecs past the Golden Bears

Written by: Ryan Schuler

Sunday’s home game could not have gone much better for San Diego State redshirt sophomore forward Jordan Ongaro.

“This is one he’ll sit in a rocking chair for generations to come and remember,” SDSU men’s soccer head coach Lev Kirshner said.

Ongaro single-handedly defeated the UC Berkley Golden Bears (3-4-2) 2-1, scoring both goals, including the game-winner in the 85th minute.

The Aztecs (7-1-2) extended their unbeaten streak to seven games and improved to 2-0 in Pacific-12 conference play.

The 2-0 conference record is the best start since a 3-0 mark in 2007 and ties SDSU for first place in the Pac-12 standings with UCLA.

“I just had a lot of confidence coming in (to the game),” Ongaro said. “I had to prove a point that I can score goals and just took every shot I could make. At this point, we feel we can beat anyone if we continue to work hard and keep playing like we are.”

The Aztecs outshot Cal 20-7, including 13-4 in the second half, and held an 8-3 advantage in shots on goal. SDSU had all eight corner kicks in the match.

Junior midfielder Jose Altamirano led all shooters with six shots, while Ongaro, sophomore forward Miles Byass and redshirt sophomore midfielder John Pegg contributed three shots each.

Senior defender Daniel Steres, freshman midfielder Tyler Smith and junior midfielder Abraham Villon were all credited with assists.

Yet, despite the impressive statistics from the entire SDSU team, the day belonged to Ongaro.

With his two-goal performance on Sunday, Ongaro now leads the team with four goals scored and is tied with Byass in points with 10.

“Basically with Jordan, the timing of his runs were excellent, and he just finished,” Kirshner said. “Jordan has had a lot of chances this year, as well as our forwards in general. The difference today was his finishing was impeccable. Both were fantastic goals.”

The Aztecs hope to continue their unbeaten streak and stay undefeated in conference play at 7 p.m. on Friday when they travel to Corvallis, Ore. to take on the Oregon State Beavers.

Ryan Schuler

Photo by Sarah Smith, Staff Photographer

Mistakes prove costly even without prize money

While PGA Tour pros were pacing the illustrious fairways of Augusta National Golf Club during the 78th Masters Tournament, the San Diego State University men’s golf team had a date of its own at the 68th Annual Western Interc...
by Rafael Avitabile
0

Photo by Elpin Keshishzadeh, staff writer

Aztecs help Relay for Life beat its fundraising goal

This past weekend, San Diego State students raised $27,577 for cancer research during the annual Relay for Life fundraiser. Relay for Life is organized by the Colleges Against Cancer club and the American Cancer Society. SDSU s...
by Elpin Keshishzadeh
0

04_14_14_Opinion_Cash_Thinkstock

Social Security or Social Insecurity? Millennials should watch out for future.

As college students, we are in a transition from young adults with little responsibility to being the next young professionals. And while we might still feel young, there are a lot of responsibilities coming our way that we mus...
by Kelly Gardner
0

DA-Crime

Crime on Campus

Attempted Robbery San Diego State police responded to an attempted robbery in an alleyway off Montezuma Road when a man dressed in all black threatened an SDSU student with a switchblade. The call came in just after 11 p.m. Thu...
by Quinn Owen
0

04_10_14_Music_BoondockBrothersBW_ChelseaMassey

Celebrate Greenfest with music from local band

San Diego State students Michael Schenk and Alberto Sandoval met at a club meeting in 2012. After bonding over similar interests for music, the two friends formed the blues-rock band, Boondock Brothers and started performing at...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0