Sterling Alvarado

Sports

October 3, 2011

Ongaro leads Aztecs past the Golden Bears

Written by: Ryan Schuler

Sunday’s home game could not have gone much better for San Diego State redshirt sophomore forward Jordan Ongaro.

“This is one he’ll sit in a rocking chair for generations to come and remember,” SDSU men’s soccer head coach Lev Kirshner said.

Ongaro single-handedly defeated the UC Berkley Golden Bears (3-4-2) 2-1, scoring both goals, including the game-winner in the 85th minute.

The Aztecs (7-1-2) extended their unbeaten streak to seven games and improved to 2-0 in Pacific-12 conference play.

The 2-0 conference record is the best start since a 3-0 mark in 2007 and ties SDSU for first place in the Pac-12 standings with UCLA.

“I just had a lot of confidence coming in (to the game),” Ongaro said. “I had to prove a point that I can score goals and just took every shot I could make. At this point, we feel we can beat anyone if we continue to work hard and keep playing like we are.”

The Aztecs outshot Cal 20-7, including 13-4 in the second half, and held an 8-3 advantage in shots on goal. SDSU had all eight corner kicks in the match.

Junior midfielder Jose Altamirano led all shooters with six shots, while Ongaro, sophomore forward Miles Byass and redshirt sophomore midfielder John Pegg contributed three shots each.

Senior defender Daniel Steres, freshman midfielder Tyler Smith and junior midfielder Abraham Villon were all credited with assists.

Yet, despite the impressive statistics from the entire SDSU team, the day belonged to Ongaro.

With his two-goal performance on Sunday, Ongaro now leads the team with four goals scored and is tied with Byass in points with 10.

“Basically with Jordan, the timing of his runs were excellent, and he just finished,” Kirshner said. “Jordan has had a lot of chances this year, as well as our forwards in general. The difference today was his finishing was impeccable. Both were fantastic goals.”

The Aztecs hope to continue their unbeaten streak and stay undefeated in conference play at 7 p.m. on Friday when they travel to Corvallis, Ore. to take on the Oregon State Beavers.

Ryan Schuler

Tony Gwynn

Tony Gwynn takes leave of absence

San Diego State head baseball coach and Major League Baseball Hall of Famer Tony Gywnn, has taken a leave of absence from coaching, dating back to March 24 due to medical conditions. Growing up in San Diego a huge Padres fan, G...
by Ryan Posner
0

04_24_14_Entertainment_Wondercon2_DavidDixon

Enjoying all aspects of pop culture in Anaheim

People who religiously attend Comic-Con in San Diego as I do are probably familiar with WonderCon in Anaheim. While I’ve known about it for years, I was not exactly sure what to expect upon entering the Anaheim Convention Cen...
by David Dixon
0

04_24_14_Entertainment_FifthBeatle_DavidDixon

Learning about ‘The Fifth Beatle’

Vivek J. Tiwary is the writer of the graphic novel, “The Fifth Beatle,” and a producer of many successful plays and musicals including “American Idiot” and “The Producers.” He will be writing the script to the film ...
by David Dixon
0

DA-Entertainment

Get your fix at the Vinyl Junkies Record Swap

Finding new records should be more than a simple shopping trip. For those looking to hang out as you shop for your favorite music, a visit to Vinyl Junkies Record Swap gets you more than new vinyl in your collection. The bi-mon...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0

DA-Crime

Crime on campus

Deadly weapon assault A man was arrested Sunday morning for assaulting San Diego State students at the Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity house. The individual was in possession of a deadly weapon at the time of the assault. It is uncl...
by Quinn Owen
0