Organic service delivers Abundant Harvest

Kayla Miller, Staff Photographer
Kayla Miller, Staff Photographer

In a perfect world, shopping for healthy and balanced food products would be simple. However, hectic school schedules and financial limitations force many students to abandon their desires to shop and eat organically. But as it turns out, the ideal concept of a health-conscious world is not as far-fetched as one might believe.

Abundant Harvest Organics is a California-based delivery service that brings fresh, homegrown produce to the doorsteps of homes within specific community areas. Every week, Abundant Harvest Organics does the work by traveling to pickup locations with a box of pre-ordered goodies.

This service offers a wide variety of mostly seasonal, organic fruits and vegetables. But it doesn’t end with two sections of the food pyramid. Organic meat options can also be added to boxes, along with organic dairy products such as butter, cheese, raw milk and pastured eggs. An assortment of nuts, beans and herbs are also available.

“Your taste buds and your wallet will thank you,” San Diego coordinator for Abundant Harvest Organics Kristin Keller said. “You’ll enjoy fruit with real flavor and veggies that you actually want to eat. All the while, you’ll save money compared to shopping at the grocery store or farmers market, and you’ll be supporting sustainable agriculture rather than the cruelty and pollution of factory farms.”

Every Thursday, Abundant Harvest Organics is featured at the e3 table during the San Diego State Farmers Market. Samples of melons, peaches, grapes and Asian pears are available for shoppers to taste.

Abundant Harvest Organics decided to take a step further by offering home delivery of organic and healthy produce to SDSU students.

“It’s easy to eat healthy when wonderful organic produce is ready for you,” Keller said. “Toss together a salad, chop up veggies with fresh herbs for an easy sauté or grab a crisp, sweet apple on your way to class – you’ll quickly gain energy and improve your health.”

The ordering process starts through the Abundant Harvest Organics’ website, abundantharvestorganics.com. After signing up for the delivery service, a confirmation email from a community host will be sent with a specific date and time of the weekly delivery. There are two different sized boxes priced for home delivery: a small box for two people is $27.80 and a large box for four people is $42.80. The option to pick up at a location is discounted from the home delivery price.

The content of the boxes varies week to week with certified-organic products. Along with the guaranteed supply of produce, add-ons are available at an affordable extra cost. Peaches, pomegranates and wild Alaskan salmon are just a few of the many delicious additional options to choose from.

According to Abundant Harvest Organics’ website, an alliance of Central California small family farmers cultivate the superior quality of produce for local communities. The newsletter and website include each featured product accompanied with the name, contact information or link to the farmer’s website.

“With Abundant Harvest Organics, you can know your farmer,” Keller said. “The produce is from a group of small family farms, which ensures that you always get a wonderful variety, and you’ll always know which farm grew every fruit and vegetable you receive and have the confidence that your produce was grown with care.”

Abundant Harvest Organics wants to bring the family farm to the SDSU campus. Students can mention The Daily Aztec and receive a special discount of $5 back on the first delivery for those who sign up with Abundant Harvest Organics.