Sterling Alvarado

November 17, 2011

CSU fee hike incites violent riot

Written by: Antonio Zaragoza

csu

Photo Courtesy of Adolfo Guzman Lopez, KPCC

Frustration at yesterday’s California State University Board of Trustees meeting in Long Beach turned into a violent riot after the board approved a $498 tuition fee increase.

Four protesters were arrested, including San Diego State student Ashley Wardle. Three police officers were injured during the conflict, one of whom was transported to a local hospital afterward. His condition was unknown at the time of publication.

“This was definitely one of the most highly frustrating and contested board meetings I have ever seen or known about,” Greg Washington, president of the California State Student Association, said.

The 9 percent increase, set to take effect next fall, is in addition to the 29 percent in increases that have already been placed on CSU students since last year. Students should expect to pay about $7,000 in tuition fees next year.

Approximately 400 protesters gathered at the trustee meeting, which took place at the Chancellor’s Office. Several of the protesters carried signs that read “Make banks pay” in bold letters. Inside the meeting, the crowd of more than 100 people contained approximately 12 protesters. Many of those protesters were affiliated with the ReFund California Coalition, which could not be reached for comment.

After a 30-minute public comment period preceding the vote, protesters continued to disrupt the meeting by shouting and yelling obscenities, after which the trustees called for a 10-minute recess. Police began removing the disruptive protesters from the building as the meeting was relocated to an adjacent room, where the trustees passed the measure with a 9-6 vote.

During this time, protesters began trying to force their way back into the building. A video posted on YouTube shows campus police using pepper spray on protesters as they tried to get inside, followed by the breaking of a glass door blocking the protesters’ entrance. It was unclear whether the broken glass door was an accident or done intentionally.

Accounts of exactly what happened yesterday differ. According to Erik Fallis, media relation specialist for the CSU, much of the disruptive behavior could be attributed to only a handful of people not reflective of CSU students or faculty.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.“Our faculty students and staff are much more respectful of each other and of their institution than this group was,” Fallis said.

Reaction to the trustee vote was immediate and determined.

VIDEO: CSU Students being Arrested at the CSU Chancellors Office (via )

“It’s time to recognize that our students and our state are in crisis, and we need talented college graduates to bring California’s economy back. This proposal takes us the wrong direction at the worst possible time,” State Superintendent of Public Instruction and CSU trustee Tom Torlakson said in a statement released by his office.

Many students, including SDSU graduate student Tess Banko, have dreaded additional fee increases but were not surprised by the vote.

“I kind of knew that the increase was going to happen. It was just a matter of time. I think the leadership of our state has just forgotten about what it’s like to be a student in this state,” she said. “I work two jobs and get student loans and every year, tuition goes up. At some point, something has to give and I think we’ve given enough.”

SDSU President Elliot Hirshman was at the meeting, along with other CSU presidents. He declined to comment on the situation.

A.S. Vice President of External Affairs Krista Parker, who was also present at the meeting, said she was disappointed in the vote.

“It’s unfortunate that students have to see these increases again,” she said. “Of course the alternative could be lay-offs, limits to accessibility and fewer class sections but it’s sad that students have to be the ones to pick up the cost.”

Antonio Zaragoza

04_17_14_Entertainment_METALGEARSOLID_JordanPollock

‘Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes’ is short but sweet

After years of teaser trailers and the whole Moby Dick Studios thing, the first bit of “Metal Gear Solid V” has finally been released in the form of “Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.” Since its release, people hav...
by Jordan Pollock
0

DA-Entertainment

Classixx spins smooth house music on Friday night

The high-energy brand of dance music heard at popular raves may not appeal to every dance music fan. For those looking for a smooth alternative, don’t fret. On Friday, April 18, house music duo Classixx will play at nightclub...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0

Photo by Kelly Smiley, Staff Photographer

Men’s tennis falls to No. 22 Boise State

The San Diego State men’s tennis 12-match regular season conference-winning streak came to a screeching halt last Saturday. The team failed to complete the improbable comeback against No. 22 Boise State University, 4-3, at Ap...
by Anthony Reclusado
0

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, Photo Editor

MBA program rated among best for women in the U.S.

Professional Woman’s Magazine featured San Diego State as one of the top universities and listed the College of Business Administration as a top M.B.A. program for women this month. The magazine creates the list after evaluat...
by Raquel Herriott
0

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, Photo Editor

Fulbright might get $30.5 million cut

President Barack Obama proposed a $30.5 million budget cut to the Fulbright program in his 2015 budget proposal, potentially increasing the already competitive nature of the scholarships. San Diego State sends many Fulbright re...
by Michelle Monroy
0

One Comment

1. Shy Forbes

It’s unfortunate that students, especially the one elected to represent Aztecs in government and budget matters, think our two options are pay fee increases or take cuts. It is obvious that our current system of leaders, including the CSU trustees and student lobbyists, have failed to obtain fair amounts of revenue from the state for higher education. Instead of playing the victim card, like the V.P. of external affairs’ quote and campus budget protests suggest, we need to seek alternative funding sources for the CSU. We need to create our own bill in the legislature and actually back it, as we saw accomplished with the CA dream act. The legislature isn’t even our only option, we can seek an initiative to ensure minimum levels of funding support, but we as students need to follow through with our options.