Minus the Bear tour to celebrate 10 years

Courtesy of Dangerbird Records
Courtesy of Dangerbird Records

Seattle-based Minus the Bear has crafted some of the most intricately layered and rhythmically complex indie rock of the last decade. In advance of its 10th anniversary tour stop at Soma tonight, bassist Cory Murchy spoke to The Daily Aztec about welcoming success, the importance of proper lifting technique and experiencing music the old-timey way.

The Daily Aztec: When most bands look back at their careers nostalgically and go on tour without supporting a new record, a farewell or hiatus seems to follow. Will Minus the Bear fans have anything to worry about after this tour?

Cory Murchy: No, not at all. We’re actually going to be going in and recording at what looks like the end of the year. We’re going to wrap up writing when we get home and we’ve got a bunch of songs ready to record. So yeah, we’re going to record and get a new record out. That’s our plan. Nothing to worry about at all. We’re going to be busy.

DA: For this tour, you are performing your debut album (2002’s “Highly Refined Pirates”) in its entirety. Has your perspective about these songs changed throughout the last decade?

CM: Yeah, totally. The thing about perspective … just the way we feel about them, yeah there was a long time where I didn’t even listen to the record just because there was other stuff going on. At one point, a couple songs here and there but we really didn’t look back at the record as pulling too much from. But it’s actually been kind of cool to revisit some of the old songs that we’ve never really played live. And the perspective that has changed has been the fact that this actually translates pretty well live. So it’s kind of cool to learn

new things about songs.

DA: This month, you’re releasing ‘Highly Refined Pirates’ and your debut EP (2001’s “This Is What I Know About Being Gigantic”) on vinyl. Does the way music is stored, whether its MP3, CD or vinyl, change the way you experience music?

CM: Yeah, I think it’s changed everyone’s way they listen to music. It’s pretty amazing to be able to have most of your record collection on a little device and be able to go wherever you want with it. But I think it still remains a neat and cool experience to open up a record or an LP or something and actually flip the sides and kind of take time to listen to the lyrics and read along. Experiencing a record like that. It has changed but I think with the resurgence of vinyl sales, I think that’s a perfect example of the fact that people like to experience music the old-timey way.

DA: “Pirates” has a fun, almost absurdist streak to it and your latest record “Omni” has sexual quality throughout. Do you write albums with a theme or concept in mind?

CM: No I don’t think so. Jake (Snider) takes care of all the lyrics. I don’t think it’s set out as an actual, predetermined thing. It just kind of turns into a certain thing depending on where we’re all at. And theme-wise, I think a lot of the stuff … The only thing absurdist really about “Pirates” and the early stuff were just the song titles. All the songs’ content were pretty straight-ahead stories and real life everyday things that happen to people. Some of the absurdist stuff is definitely in there

but it’s also heartfelt love songs too.

DA: With its glossier production and mellower rhythms, “Omni” sounds vastly different from your other albums. What influenced that change in direction?

CM: It’s just where we were at musically altogether when the five of us were writing and who we were as people. I think all our records were great snapshots of where we are musically and personally. I think it was the product of being together almost a decade.

DA: Speaking of influence, with the burgeoning success of bands such as Two Door Cinema Club, mainstream rock seems to be shifting toward the sound you helped pioneer. Do you seek mainstream recognition?

CM: We want to play to as many people who want to listen to us and buy our records. I don’t think we’re trying to … We’re just trying to play our music and get it out to as many people who want to hear it. If it goes mainstream, awesome. If we’re part of that, yeah why not? It’s not like we’re going to say no to fans. I think if people like it, that’s awesome.

DA: As the performer, what makes a Minus the Bear show memorable for you?

CM: Just when I know the crowd is having a good time. Interaction between crowd and band is always good. Just as far as the energy that you get from people in the audience. I think that’s a real thing. Some shows are a lot more mellow and there is not that exchange of energy. It’s fun to feed off the crowd and to just get into it because everyone else is. It’s pretty cool.

DA: What do you know now you wish you knew 10 years ago?

CM: I would have paid attention to lifting with my knees and not with my back. I blew my back out a couple years ago so I would have stretched and taken better care of my back. That’s what I would have done.

Minus the Bear plays tonight at Soma. Tickets are $25 and the doors open at 7:30 p.m.