SD sushi spots serve hours of happy deals

Thinkstock
Thinkstock

Ever had a craving for sushi in the middle of studying, or while going to class? As untimely as they may be, some cravings just won’t go away.

Next time the hankering hits, don’t let a tight wallet get in the way. Instead, explore San Diego’s many sushi hot spots and their happy hour deals.

Harney Sushi

Located in Old Town, this trendy and eclectic restaurant offers sweet deals during happy hour. However, keep in mind those discounts do not apply to alcohol. Harney Sushi offers late night happy hour every day from 10 p.m. to midnight, including rolls ranging from $3 to $6 to satisfy those late-night cravings.

The most popular sushi dishes are the Monkey Brains and Shrimp Tempura Bomb. No bananas, or brains, are found in the Monkey Brains, but it does consist of fried mushroom tempura and spicy tuna. On the other hand, the Shrimp Tempura Bomb consists of a nice combination of shrimp tempura nigiri and spicy albacore.
This sushi chain has been featured in The San Diego Union-Tribune and has received multiple awards including a three-year consecutive win for “Best Sushi” from San Diego CityBeat Magazine in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor
Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor

RA Sushi
Looking for another restaurant that offers happy hour deals every day of the week? Try RA Sushi. With 12 hours devoted to satisfying customers’ hankering for rolled-up raw fish, its menu does not disappoint. RA Sushi is located on Broadway Street in downtown San Diego, and is adorned with lustrous club-like décor.

It offers two happy hour options for dedicated sushi aficionados to select from: 3 to 7 p.m. daily and Sundays from 8 p.m. to midnight in the Flying Fish Lounge within RA Sushi.

During happy hour, RA Sushi serves rolls, appetizers and drinks from $2 to $7, including one of the most popular sushi rolls: the Viva Las Vegas Roll. The Viva Las Vegas Roll is popular for its pairing of Kani kama crab with cream cheese, rolled in rice and seaweed and topped off with a drizzle of sweet eel sauce.
The restaurant is open from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily.

Kabuki Sushi

Kabuki Sushi in Pacific Beach does not offer deals on its sushi selection during happy hour because it provides good sushi prices every day, especially during designated lunchtime hours.

Every day there is a drink special to consider. For example, on Mondays it offers 50 percent off on small and large sized hot sake, and on Tuesdays customers can buy $2 small beers.

Without television or wireless Internet connection to distract customers, diners can really spend time bonding with friends while sharing delicious food.

Mister Sushi

This locally owned Pacific Beach sushi joint has been in operation since the late ‘80s, providing fabulous service in a relaxed personal setting.

According to the restaurant’s website, it “serves a wide range of Japanese dishes with a focus on sushi and sashimi.”  Once customers order their food, they can watch sushi chef “Tony” prepare meals right before their eyes, including Spicy Yellow Tail, Rainbow and California rolls.

Mister Sushi is new to the happy hour scene, offering deals Tuesday through Saturday from 5 to 7 p.m. Customers who order four bowls (selections change each week) receive 20 percent off, in addition to another dollar off of hot sake and beer to wash the food down.

The Islands Sushi & PuPu Bar

Winner of the San Diego Union Tribune’s Reader Poll for the Best of San Diego 2008, The Islands Sushi & PuPu Bar provides a laid-back island feel for those looking for a temporary getaway. It offers 2-for-1 hand rolls during Hawaiian Happy Hour, where the most common sushi choice is the Hanalei Bay Roll.

If customers want to step it up, the Spam Musubi delivers a taste of the mainland culture for $3.50. They can also taste  a sweet Mai Tai for $5.50 to enjoy the tropical island feel or buy a draft beer for only $3.

The Islands Sushi & PuPu Bar is located inside the Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego in Hotel Circle North.