5025 Apartments

January 23, 2012

SDSU welcomes Sustainability Center

Written by: Amy Williams
3_21_11_City_Explore-SDSU_AZ

Last Thursday marked San Diego State’s next step toward becoming an environmentally conscious campus. The Center for Regional Sustainability Studies opened the Student Sustainability Center, where students can confer with faculty about steps that can be taken to ensure the school reduces its carbon footprint.

Its goal is to enable students to take action and make “green” changes in their community. Two Green Student Interns will be hired to work in the center. Together, they will research the success of other schools’ energy efficiency programs and see what SDSU can imitate and improve. They will work closely with faculty members to plan projects throughout the campus. Other students are also encouraged to participate in the center’s efforts.

According to Mariah Hudson, Division of Undergraduate Studies assistant director, the center created a new class at SDSU in which the students assess the electronic efficiency of buildings throughout campus. This is just one example of the type of projects that will encourage students to be more active and environmentally minded in their community.

Approximately 12 faculty members and professors attended last week’s official opening, including the University of Western Sydney’s vice chancellor, Geoff Scott. There will be a larger opening for students in mid-February.

Amy Williams

Photo by Sarah Smith, Staff Photographer

Mistakes prove costly even without prize money

While PGA Tour pros were pacing the illustrious fairways of Augusta National Golf Club during the 78th Masters Tournament, the San Diego State University men’s golf team had a date of its own at the 68th Annual Western Interc...
by Rafael Avitabile
0

Photo by Elpin Keshishzadeh, staff writer

Aztecs help Relay for Life beat its fundraising goal

This past weekend, San Diego State students raised $27,577 for cancer research during the annual Relay for Life fundraiser. Relay for Life is organized by the Colleges Against Cancer club and the American Cancer Society. SDSU s...
by Elpin Keshishzadeh
0

04_14_14_Opinion_Cash_Thinkstock

Social Security or Social Insecurity? Millennials should watch out for future.

As college students, we are in a transition from young adults with little responsibility to being the next young professionals. And while we might still feel young, there are a lot of responsibilities coming our way that we mus...
by Kelly Gardner
0

DA-Crime

Crime on Campus

Attempted Robbery San Diego State police responded to an attempted robbery in an alleyway off Montezuma Road when a man dressed in all black threatened an SDSU student with a switchblade. The call came in just after 11 p.m. Thu...
by Quinn Owen
0

04_10_14_Music_BoondockBrothersBW_ChelseaMassey

Celebrate Greenfest with music from local band

San Diego State students Michael Schenk and Alberto Sandoval met at a club meeting in 2012. After bonding over similar interests for music, the two friends formed the blues-rock band, Boondock Brothers and started performing at...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0