Lyft

January 23, 2012

SDSU welcomes Sustainability Center

Written by: Amy Williams
3_21_11_City_Explore-SDSU_AZ

Last Thursday marked San Diego State’s next step toward becoming an environmentally conscious campus. The Center for Regional Sustainability Studies opened the Student Sustainability Center, where students can confer with faculty about steps that can be taken to ensure the school reduces its carbon footprint.

Its goal is to enable students to take action and make “green” changes in their community. Two Green Student Interns will be hired to work in the center. Together, they will research the success of other schools’ energy efficiency programs and see what SDSU can imitate and improve. They will work closely with faculty members to plan projects throughout the campus. Other students are also encouraged to participate in the center’s efforts.

According to Mariah Hudson, Division of Undergraduate Studies assistant director, the center created a new class at SDSU in which the students assess the electronic efficiency of buildings throughout campus. This is just one example of the type of projects that will encourage students to be more active and environmentally minded in their community.

Approximately 12 faculty members and professors attended last week’s official opening, including the University of Western Sydney’s vice chancellor, Geoff Scott. There will be a larger opening for students in mid-February.

Amy Williams

Screenshot of Student Success Fee email.

Student Success Fee survey closes with low participation

The Student Success Fee survey, which was sent out for the first time April 7th, closed with 2,594 student votes last Friday. This survey was the only opportunity for the students to provide feedback on what courses they though...
by Camille Lozano
0

04_24_14_opinon_taxes_thinkstock

Students are missing out on essential life skills

The phrase “growing up” entails many things. Usually, the first aspect that comes to mind is responsibility. I’m talking about­­ real, personal responsibility, part of which is financial responsibility. Throughout the y...
by Kelly Gardner
0

04_24_14_Opinion_Coachella_WesleyBeights

Coachella is about the music, not outfits and celebrities

There are two three-day weekends in April that are filled with music, a little bit of art, trendy and ridiculous outfits, and some hot celebrities. This shindig is called Coachella, but I’m sure I didn’t need to tel...
by Sabrina Shahawi
0

04_24_14_Features_West_MonicaLinzmeier

Event will “start up” student careers

Looking for a job or internship can be a challenging task. Thankfully, San Diego State is making it easier with Start-up @ State. Hosted by the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center, the Entrepreneur Society and Startup Circle, Start-u...
by Melissa Artobello
0

Comcast Reports Quarterly Earnings Rise 16 Percent

‘Worst Company in America’ contest reveals concerning priorities

There is another bracket that’s worth some attention during March madness. It’s none other than the annual Consumerist’s Worst Company in America awards. Every year since 2010, consumers have voted and awarded the coveted...
by KC Stanfield
0