5025 Apartments

Sports

March 12, 2012

Franklin lets his emotions fly in loss

Written by: Antonio Morales
Tags: ,

SDSU sophomore Jamaal Franklin flipped off a Lobo fan.  | Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor

SDSU sophomore Jamaal Franklin flipped off a Lobo fan. | Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor

LAS VEGAS — When watching sophomore guard Jamaal Franklin on the court, it’s easy to see he’s an emotional player. It helps make him the player he is.

On Saturday, he let those emotions get the best of him. Franklin was called for a charging foul in the final minute of the first half against New Mexico and wasn’t too happy about it.

He was upset with the call and appeared to give the middle finger to a referee.

On Sunday afternoon, Franklin denied he gave the middle finger to the referee, but said he flipped off a Lobo fan who was heckling him throughout the game.

Franklin apologized for the incident the day after.

“I want to say I apologize to my teammates once again,” Franklin said. “I want to apologize to the community. I feel like I let the community down, I let the program down and I let the school down. I let my emotions get the best of me. I didn’t give a finger to the ref. I would never give a finger to the ref.”

The sophomore said the fan was saying things about his family and called him the N-word.

“I did give a finger out, I can’t deny that” Franklin said. “A Lobo fan was bugging me the whole time calling me the N-word and talking about my family, trying to get under my skin. I shouldn’t have let him get under my skin. I’m going to work real hard to not let this happen again.”

Franklin had originally declined to comment on the gesture after the game.

“No, not at all,” Franklin said when the media member asked him if he had anything to say about it.

It was a good move for Franklin after he painted himself, the team and the university in a negative light by giving the middle finger.

Head coach Steve Fisher thought Franklin was thankful for the apology, but didn’t appreciate the incident.

“It was the appropriate thing (to apologize). It was an inappropriate act,” Fisher said. “That one was not a good decision. I appreciate what he said, but I wish we didn’t have to say it.”

Antonio Morales

03_27_14_Sports_2_JennaMackey

Arizona storms back to beat Aztecs

In probably the most stressful game of the season for University of Arizona and San Diego State University fans, the Wildcats came out on top 70-64 in the Sweet 16 in Anaheim, Calif. Arizona will now face the University of Wisc...
by Matthew Bain
0

Photo by Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer.

Aztecs seek revenge in Sweet 16

After all the madness, drama and upsets thus far in this year’s NCAA March Madness tournament, the fourth seeded San Diego State Aztecs will do something that’s only been done once before in school history: playing in the r...
by Terence Chin
0

Photo by Kristian Carreon, Staff Photographer

Aztecs dominate NDSU 63-44 to advance to Sweet 16

It might not be a winning equation for a deep run into the NCAA Tournament, but team defense plus Xavier Thames’ explosive offense led the San Diego State Aztecs (31-4, 16-2 Mountain West) to dominate the North Dakota State U...
by Matthew Bain
0

Photo by Jenna Mackey, Senior Staff Photographer

Aztecs survive against New Mexico State

Busted brackets, upsets, win or go home. Whatever you want to call it, the first day of March Madness second round games are in the books. As expected, with drama anticipating for teams in this tournament, it took overtime for ...
by Terence Chin
0

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, Photo Editor

Aztecs end remarkable regular season, begin postseason against New Mexico State

Wow! How do you begin writing a season recap of something so remarkable and historic—something magical that no one saw coming, but probably only head coach Steve Fisher and the rest of his team believed. To break it down just...
by Terence Chin
0