5025 Apartments

April 19, 2012

Unique holiday shares beliefs

Written by: Arturo Garcia Sierra
Tags:

Project Nur celebrated the interfaith holiday Mimouna last Monday on campus. The cultural organization is soon to conclude its first year at San Diego State as a pluralistic group dedicated to diversity.

“We’re a light on campus,” Project Nur President Hashaw Elkins said. Nur is Arabic for light. “We’re committed to positive experiences, generating dialogue and to connecting people.”

According to Elkins, Project Nur is a model on campus of a truly diverse community. He added that Project Nur is a cultural organization dedicated to culture.

Originating in Morocco, Mimouna is the day after Passover. During Passover Jews are not allowed to eat bread. Mimouna is the first day they can begin eating it again. This is accompanied by a springtime celebration when Jewish people bless their orchids and vineyards, followed by a large feast with their Muslim and Christian neighbors.

In commemoration of the holiday, Project Nur gifted a fig tree, a universal symbol of peace, to the campus garden created by campus organization Garden Gnomes.

“We want to educate people on the fact that holidays like this exist so that it reaches the awareness of the public and they understand that there is more to interfaith than they previously thought, more out there than just conflict,” Elkins said.

The event showcased student art with the theme of peace and diversity, provided information about the holiday and hosted a performance by local belly dancers. A photo booth provided by Apple displayed the traditions and history of the event, resembling Balboa Park’s houses of hospitality.

“I feel that such artistry is precisely what Project Nur seeks to do … to focus on the best that we can find in terms of art and human expression,” professor of religious studies and Project Nur adviser Khaleel Mohammed said.

According to Elkins, the event almost didn’t happen because of funding issues. Elkins said Cultural Arts and Special Events funds had already been used for the semester. The original plan had been shelved when students urged Elkins to bring it back. The dancers and artists offered their talents for free.

Arturo Garcia Sierra
Arturo Garcia Sierra is a biliterate journalism student at San Diego State. He is the assistant news editor at The Daily Aztec and managing editor of Mundo Azteca, the organization's Spanish-language content.

Students put their green thumb to work

Members of the Student Nutrition Organization at San Diego State volunteered time to nurture the campus herb garden.
by Arturo Garcia Sierra
0

CSU Chancellor requests pay cut

Incoming California State University Chancellor Timothy P. White recently requested to have part of his state-funded salary reduced by 10 percent, which would add $41,500 to the CSU budget.
by Ana Ceballos
1

CSU students to receive $249

As the California State University campuses prepared for a $250 million cut last semester, good surfaced when California voters passed Proposition 30.
by Ana Ceballos
0

Aztecs beat Cowboys for MW title

On Saturday, San Diego State claimed the Mountain West championship for the 19th time in school history, parading to a 42-28 victory.
by Hilal Haider
0

Event raises awareness of suicide rates

Every 15 minutes, someone in the U.S. commits suicide, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
by Stacey Oparnica
0