Sterling Alvarado

August 28, 2012

Overpopulation may lead to worldwide drought by 2050

Written by: Ana Ceballos

MCT Campus

As the world continues to house billions of humans, resources are becoming more scarce and our current abundance of food will likely be an extinct luxury by 2050.

According to a study by the Stockholm International Water Institute released at the annual world water week in Stockholm, water used for crops and produce will not be available if the cur- rent trends of the westernized food industry continue.

The world population is ex-pected to reach 9 billion by the year 2050, compared to the 6 billion people recorded in March 2012 by the United Nations Population Division Department.

As the water deficit progresses throughout the years, the new re- port published by SIWI claims re- solving the issue means cutting the current 20 percent intake of ani-

mal-based produce by 5 percent. “Personally, I don’t have any- thing against people that eat meat, it is just a personal choice,” nutri- tion senior Cynthia Twain said. “But once it affects the environ- ment; that is when I start worry- ing about people’s selfishness just because they like meat; we all live in the same planet afterall.” According to the institute’s re- port, as a consequence of excessive water consumption, there will not be enough water to feed and sus- tain animals, making meat-eating a luxury.

Ana Ceballos
Ana Ceballos is a journalism senior and The Aztec's managing editor. She's a passionate writer for political and social issues affecting her community in San Diego.

Screenshot of Student Success Fee email.

Student Success Fee survey closes with low participation

The Student Success Fee survey, which was sent out for the first time April 7th, closed with 2,594 student votes last Friday. This survey was the only opportunity for the students to provide feedback on what courses they though...
by Camille Lozano
0

04_24_14_opinon_taxes_thinkstock

Students are missing out on essential life skills

The phrase “growing up” entails many things. Usually, the first aspect that comes to mind is responsibility. I’m talking about­­ real, personal responsibility, part of which is financial responsibility. Throughout the y...
by Kelly Gardner
0

04_24_14_Opinion_Coachella_WesleyBeights

Coachella is about the music, not outfits and celebrities

There are two three-day weekends in April that are filled with music, a little bit of art, trendy and ridiculous outfits, and some hot celebrities. This shindig is called Coachella, but I’m sure I didn’t need to tel...
by Sabrina Shahawi
0

04_24_14_Features_West_MonicaLinzmeier

Event will “start up” student careers

Looking for a job or internship can be a challenging task. Thankfully, San Diego State is making it easier with Start-up @ State. Hosted by the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center, the Entrepreneur Society and Startup Circle, Start-u...
by Melissa Artobello
0

Comcast Reports Quarterly Earnings Rise 16 Percent

‘Worst Company in America’ contest reveals concerning priorities

There is another bracket that’s worth some attention during March madness. It’s none other than the annual Consumerist’s Worst Company in America awards. Every year since 2010, consumers have voted and awarded the coveted...
by KC Stanfield
0

One Comment

1. Sean

The idea that we are reaching a population crisis, that is as a species humans are overpopulating the planet, is becoming an increasingly held opinion. This would appear not to take into account that global population limits are dictated in large part by our social behaviour. Our world population has grown more since 1950 than it has in the previous four million years.
    We must begin to understand the carrying capacity of our planet, but we also need to start making decisions about how we function as a society. The population limit for a society that is focused on an economy of infinite growth and one that is concerned with an intelligent systems approach to providing a high standard of living for our entire human family coupled with biosphere sustainability is two completely different things.