5025 Apartments

Sports

November 19, 2012

Aztecs season ends with loss to Bruins

Written by: Christopher Stone

After making it to the NCAA sweet sixteen, No. 4 San Diego State University lost its opportunity at the final four when it was shutout 3-0 on Sunday against No. 6 University of California Los Angeles. The loss was disappointing because of the team’s success this season and its 14-game winning streak and 15-match unbeaten streak.

The Aztecs didn’t look sharp in the opening minutes and found themselves in a hole when UCLA’s senior forward Zakiya Bywaters scored the Bruins’ first goal in the 7th minute of the game with assistance from sophomore forward Rosie White.

Shortly after, Bywaters scored again in the 13th minute, putting SDSU down 2-0 early in the game. Sophomore midfielder Sarah Killion was credited with the assist. SDSU played sluggish in the opening minutes, failing to connect key passes to get anywhere near the UCLA net. The Bruins outshot the Aztecs 9-4 in the first half and SDSU went into the locker room at halftime with a score of 2-0.

In the second half, the Aztecs continued to struggle by allowing UCLA to shoot from all across the field. Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Rachel Boaz had to make two big saves in the 50th minute to keep the Aztecs in the game.

The Aztecs showed their frustration when sophomore forward Hannah Keane was given a yellow card five minutes into the half.

UCLA passed the ball around the SDSU defense and put the game out of reach when junior midfielder Chelsea Braun scored the third goal for the Bruins in the 65th minute with assistance from sophomore midfielder Caprice Dydasco.

The Aztecs season finished 25 minutes later when the referee blew the final whistle. UCLA outshot SDSU 8-6 in the second half. Senior Forward Megan Jurado lead the team with two shots on goal and Boaz had a total of two saves.

“Beyond expectations, what really separated this team from a lot of the other teams in the country is the character. What the seniors can be proud of is that they left a legacy. They created a culture in our program that we think will carry us forward to even better seasons in the future,” SDSU head coach Mike Friesen said.

This was the best season the program has ever seen and to show their support of the team, fans gave a standing ovation after the game. The season may be complete, but the women’s soccer program is set for great seasons in the future.

Christopher Stone

Screenshot of Student Success Fee email.

Student Success Fee survey closes with low participation

The Student Success Fee survey, which was sent out for the first time April 7th, closed with 2,594 student votes last Friday. This survey was the only opportunity for the students to provide feedback on what courses they though...
by Camille Lozano
0

04_24_14_opinon_taxes_thinkstock

Students are missing out on essential life skills

The phrase “growing up” entails many things. Usually, the first aspect that comes to mind is responsibility. I’m talking about­­ real, personal responsibility, part of which is financial responsibility. Throughout the y...
by Kelly Gardner
0

04_24_14_Opinion_Coachella_WesleyBeights

Coachella is about the music, not outfits and celebrities

There are two three-day weekends in April that are filled with music, a little bit of art, trendy and ridiculous outfits, and some hot celebrities. This shindig is called Coachella, but I’m sure I didn’t need to tel...
by Sabrina Shahawi
0

04_24_14_Features_West_MonicaLinzmeier

Event will “start up” student careers

Looking for a job or internship can be a challenging task. Thankfully, San Diego State is making it easier with Start-up @ State. Hosted by the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center, the Entrepreneur Society and Startup Circle, Start-u...
by Melissa Artobello
0

Comcast Reports Quarterly Earnings Rise 16 Percent

‘Worst Company in America’ contest reveals concerning priorities

There is another bracket that’s worth some attention during March madness. It’s none other than the annual Consumerist’s Worst Company in America awards. Every year since 2010, consumers have voted and awarded the coveted...
by KC Stanfield
0