Sterling Alvarado

November 29, 2012

SDSU ranked 7th most dangerous college

Written by: Stephanie Saccente
Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

San Diego State ranked No. 7 on Business Insider’s list of “Most Dangerous Colleges in America.” The list included 25 U.S. colleges ranked by averaging a combination of violent and property FBI crime data from 2008 to 2011 for schools with more than 10,000 students enrolled.

The report stated SDSU experiences approximately 27 violent incidents per year. According to Business Insider, in 2011 there were five forcible rapes, three robberies and five aggravated assaults.

But, property crime is where SDSU experiences the most crime. Business Insider reported there is an average of 575 incidents per year. SDSU foods and nutrition sophomore Kelsey Wild, experienced an on-campus robbery firsthand when her iPhone was taken out of her hands last semester while walking down Montezuma Road at 3 a.m. with a few friends. “We were in the middle of crossing a crosswalk and this guy came up behind me and grabbed my iPhone 4 from my hand and ran,” Wild said.

Wild immediately reported the incident to the SDSU Police Department but he was never found.

Graphic design junior Jesika Frain, also experienced on campus criminal activity when her apartment at Aztec Campus was broken into last year. Frain and her roommate had their laptops stolen. “Our window had been closed but not locked, so the guy ripped open the screen and came through that in the middle of the day…I also had a whole load taken out of the dryer in my apartment building,” Frain said.

SDSUPD Capt. Lamine Secka said he feels strongly for campus safety although he said he feels the list is misleading in the way crime history is calculated. He advises students and parents not to take the No. 7 ranking for face value and to do their own research. “It’s important for students to have awareness of what’s going

on around them, have awareness of where their stuff is and who has access to their areas, whether it’s a commonly shared lab or the library,” Secka said. “Just be aware of what’s going on and what security precautions are in place and be smart about the decisions you make.”

Stephanie Saccente

Tony Gwynn

Tony Gwynn takes leave of absence

San Diego State head baseball coach and Major League Baseball Hall of Famer Tony Gywnn, has taken a leave of absence from coaching, dating back to March 24 due to medical conditions. Growing up in San Diego a huge Padres fan, G...
by Ryan Posner
0

04_24_14_Entertainment_Wondercon2_DavidDixon

Enjoying all aspects of pop culture in Anaheim

People who religiously attend Comic-Con in San Diego as I do are probably familiar with WonderCon in Anaheim. While I’ve known about it for years, I was not exactly sure what to expect upon entering the Anaheim Convention Cen...
by David Dixon
0

04_24_14_Entertainment_FifthBeatle_DavidDixon

Learning about ‘The Fifth Beatle’

Vivek J. Tiwary is the writer of the graphic novel, “The Fifth Beatle,” and a producer of many successful plays and musicals including “American Idiot” and “The Producers.” He will be writing the script to the film ...
by David Dixon
0

DA-Entertainment

Get your fix at the Vinyl Junkies Record Swap

Finding new records should be more than a simple shopping trip. For those looking to hang out as you shop for your favorite music, a visit to Vinyl Junkies Record Swap gets you more than new vinyl in your collection. The bi-mon...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0

DA-Crime

Crime on campus

Deadly weapon assault A man was arrested Sunday morning for assaulting San Diego State students at the Phi Kappa Theta Fraternity house. The individual was in possession of a deadly weapon at the time of the assault. It is uncl...
by Quinn Owen
0