Axe Peace

Sports

December 3, 2012

Aztecs spear the Tigers

Written by: Ryan Schuler

Photo by Antonio Zaragoza, Editor in Chief

The San Diego State men’s basketball team came into Monday’s game against Texas Southern University full of confidence. And why not? After defeating the University of Southern California and the University of California, Los Angeles in back-to-back games to proclaim itself the top team in the Golden State, SDSU rose to No. 17 in the Associated Press Top 25 and No. 15 in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll.

Behind junior guard Jamaal Franklin’s 18 points and 15 rebounds, SDSU defeated Texas Southern 74-62 to move to 6-1 on the season.

From the initial tip, the Aztecs dominated the game, starting with a 9-0 run fueled by senior guard Chase Tapley, who scored five of the nine points. Eventually, SDSU built a 13-1 lead less than seven minutes into the game because of the six consecutive points scored by senior forward DeShawn Stephens.

The Tigers found momentum and made it 27-16, but a 3-pointer by Franklin and a jumper by Stephens increased the lead to 32-16. SDSU finished the first half in the lead 34-16.

Texas Southern came out as the aggressor in the second half, going on a 13-4 run to cut the lead to 38-29. The teams continued to trade baskets, but the Aztecs held onto a double-digit lead. The Tigers were able to pull within eight points of the Aztecs with more than 10 minutes to go in the game, but SDSU went on a 14-4 run of its own to make it an 18-point game.

Four Aztecs scored in double-figures, including sophomore forward Dwayne Polee, who had 10 points, his most as an Aztec. Tapley had 16 points, while Stephens set a season-high with 13 points.

Turning point

With a little more than three minutes left in the first half, the Tigers cut the deficit to 27-16, but a trey by Franklin and baskets by Stephens and freshman forward Winston Shepard put the Aztecs on a 7-0 run, giving SDSU a 34-16 halftime lead and momentum going into the second half.

It was over when…

With just more than seven minutes left in the game, Franklin pulled down a defensive rebound and threw a cross-court pass to Tapley for the layup. The basket gave the Aztecs a 15-point lead late in the game.

Play of the game

In the final minute of the game and with the shot clock winding down, Tapley threw an alley-oop from the top of the key to Franklin, who finished the play with a reverse dunk to send what was left of the crowd into a frenzy.

Stat of the game

After not attempting a free throw in the first half, the Aztecs made 15 of the 17 free throws they attempted in the second half, good enough for an 88.2 percent mark.

Player of the game

Franklin recorded his fourth double-double of the season and has now scored in double-figures in 28 consecutive games.

Notebook

- The Aztecs have won 19 consecutive games in the month of December.

- Tapley returned to the starting lineup after sitting out the USC game because of a knee injury. He came off the bench against UCLA.

- Texas Southern did not hit its first field goal until 9:28 into the game.

- SDSU is now 5-0 all-time against members of the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

- The Tigers shot 18.5 percent (5-for-27) from the field in the first half.

- This is SDSU’s first of a four-game homestand. The Aztecs’ next three opponents are the University of California, Santa Barbara, the University of San Diego and Point Loma Nazarene.

- The Aztecs are riding a six-game winning streak.

Ryan Schuler

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, Photo Editor

SDSU launches first ‘Trans Week of Empowerment’

On April 7, San Diego State kicked off its first Trans* Week of Empowerment to bring positive visibility to the transgender community. The event was inspired by Trans Day of Empowerment, a national event that began in San Diego...
by Adriana Millar
0

Draft Day movie stills

Sports drama will mostly attract football lovers

Football fans far and wide, this is the movie for you. Directed by Ivan Reitman, “Draft Day” stars Kevin Costner as General Manager of the Cleveland Browns Sonny Weaver Jr. The drama takes place on NFL draft day, the one da...
by Hayley Spence
0

NCAA Final Four semifinals Arlington, TX

SDSU shows maturity in NCAA pandemonium

Rare is the opinion column in praise of an issue or event. But San Diego State sports fans deserve kudos following a couch-fire season without a single sofa set ablaze in San Diego. Lord knows the Aztecs’ men’s basketball t...
by Mike Heral
0

Ian Walsh-portrait

Sun and snow collide at Red Bull event

Normally San Diego State students wouldn’t be enthusiastic about waking up at 6 a.m. on a Saturday; most students have issues getting up by noon. But on Saturday, March 29 several SDSU students eagerly hopped out of bed with ...
by Christine Whitman
2

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, photo editor

Autism awareness event lights SDSU blue

San Diego State students gathered Wednesday night at Scripps Cottage to raise awareness about autism. Aztecs for Autism was hosted by SDSU’s Student Disability Services Department. The campaign for awareness, championed ...
by Quinn Owen
0