Sterling Alvarado

December 2, 2012

Research to shed light on sex trafficking

Written by: Hannah Beausang

San Diego State will work with local universities to study gang involvement in sex trafficking.
SDSU criminal justice associate professor Dana Nurge will team up with professor of cultural anthropology at Point Loma Nazarene University Jamie Gates and University of San Diego assistant professor of peace studies Ami Carpenter to study sex trafficking. The research will be funded by a $400,000 grant from the National Institute of Justice.
The study, which will be called “Measuring the Extent and Nature of Gang Involvement in Sex Trafficking in the San Diego/Tijuana Border Region,” will examine the connection between gangs and sex trafficking in the local area to understand the issue and scope of sex trafficking.
The team members will work together to combine their areas of expertise to approach the issue from all angles.
“We decided that it makes sense to collaborate,” Nurge said. “We have very different but related backgrounds. It all fits.”
Nurges said, San Diego is part of the top eight hotspot cities nationwide for sex trafficking. The team hopes its research will shed light on the nature and reality of the issue in the area.
The team received the grant and made an outline of its strategies, but is still formulating some of the details for the project.
The team will also receive cooperation from local law enforcement agencies and social service organizations as well as schools. With the collaboration and range of sources and information, the team will be able to comprehensively analyze the data.
Gates said one of the prime sources of data will be collected from perpetrators, people who have been related to gangs, people who are involved in trafficking, the team will report on discovered patterns and information highlighting key parts of the issue.
The research will give the team a better understanding of sex trafficking in the San Diego area. The team hopes to find out in-depth details that will provide new insight.
“There are very few large-scale empirical studies that help us to understand the dynamic of this phenomenon, so it’s a hard reality to measure,” Gates said. “There’s a large concern about the issue, but we know little about what’s going on because it’s a clandestine activity.”
The team anticipates the methods of data collection could be replicated in other research. The methods used in the study will be publicly accessible so they can be utilized for other studies of similar nature.
The team will recruit undergraduate and graduate research assistants from the three universities to help with the data collection and analysis process.

Hannah Beausang
Hannah Beausang is the News Editor for The Daily Aztec. Beausang is currently a senior at San Diego State with a journalism major and a political science minor.

DA-Blogs

Crazy thing called life

I’m finally beginning to understand that the only definite thing in life is death. Morbid, but true. You can plan things all you want, but there’s never a solid guarantee they’re going to happen the way you think they wil...
by Caitlin Johnson
0

Donky Pitch

New releases from the exciting Donky Pitch

As you scour through the internet for new dance music, you are bound to stumble upon an iconic  silhouette of a donkey kicking out its hind legs. That silhouette is the proud logo of the exciting electronic music label Donky P...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0

stack of movies

Happy endings, unrequited love and all that drama: How movies have ruined real-life dating

Ask me what my favorite romantic movie is and without hesitation, I’ll tell you it’s author Nicholas Sparks’ best seller-turned-cinematic-masterpiece “A Walk To Remember.” If you haven’t read the book or seen the fi...
by Victoria Valenzuela
1

04_17_14_Entertainment_DaveMustaine_TravisShinn

Two distinct musical worlds collide

Last Saturday’s performance at Copley Symphony Hall was one to remember for the those who experienced the first ever “Symphony Interrupted,” showcasing Dave Mustaine as a soloist for the San Diego Symphony. What made it u...
by Josselyn Molina
0

04_17_14_Entertainment_METALGEARSOLID_JordanPollock

‘Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes’ is short but sweet

After years of teaser trailers and the whole Moby Dick Studios thing, the first bit of “Metal Gear Solid V” has finally been released in the form of “Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.” Since its release, people hav...
by Jordan Pollock
0