SDSU gets big win at The Pit

The Lobos tried, but they couldn’t put an end to the San Diego State women’s basketball team’s four-game winning streak. On Saturday, the Aztecs defeated the University of New Mexico 63-39 in Albuquerque, N.M. to move to 14-5 on the season and 5-1 in conference play.

SDSU arrived at The Pit ready to send the Lobos running.

The Aztecs immediately set the pace of the game within the first two minutes of the first half with back-to-back shots.

New Mexico attempted to catch up, but bad shooting and turnovers too early in the game overwhelmed the team.

SDSU took a 35-16 lead with 10 seconds left in the half when sophomore forward Erimma Amarikwa made two free throws.

At the half, senior guard Courtney Clements led the team with 13 points, while senior guard Chelsea Hopkins had seven rebounds.

The Aztecs made 14-of-29 field goals, while the Lobos did even worse and only made 7-of-24.

SDSU was not shooting at its best, but kept New Mexico away from the net on the defensive end.

The Aztecs came out of the locker room eager to increase their 19-point lead and once again, SDSU began the second half with back-to-back shots.

The Lobos hung on, but the Aztecs continued to shake them off. With less than four minutes left in the game, SDSU was in the lead by 32 points.

New Mexico’s sophomore center Maddie Muraida made the last shot of the game, but it was too little too late.

The Aztecs ended the night shooting 49 percent from the field and 75 percent from the free throw line.

The Lobos, on the other hand, ended shooting 35 percent from the field and made 4-of-8 free throws.

Clements finished the game leading the team with 21 points and Hopkins came in second with 11.  In the end, Amarikwa, Hopkins and Clements led the team with seven rebounds apiece.

SDSU made 34 of its 63 points in the paint and had a 14-12 rebounding advantage against New Mexico.

The Aztecs won their past five games and are first in the Mountain West Conference standings.

SDSU has a midweek bye this week and won’t play until Feb. 2, where the Aztecs will face off against the U.S. Air Force Academy at 2 p.m. at Viejas Arena.

SDSU gets big win at The Pit