5025 Apartments

Sports

January 21, 2013

SDSU lets Cowboys run away with the win

Written by: Matt Kenyon

Nine points.  No, that is not what junior guard Jamaal Franklin scored. That is what the Aztecs scored in the first half.

After shooting 38 percent against The University of Nevada, Las Vegas on Wednesday, the Aztecs were once again plagued by poor shooting on Saturday in a 58-45 loss against Wyoming.

San Diego State and Wyoming both came into the game with 14 wins before the Cowboys snapped their five-game losing streak against the Aztecs.

The Aztecs could not buy a basket in the first half, making only four field goals and one free throw on 16 percent shooting from the field.  The Aztecs headed to the locker room trailing 20-9, their lowest scoring first half of the season.

Franklin led the Aztecs with 13-points after a scoreless first half.

Freshman forward Winston Shepard scored 10 points in his second start for the Aztecs, replacing junior guard Xavier Thames who was unable to play because of a recurring back injury.  Senior guard Chase Tapley also had 9 points.

The Aztecs finished the game shooting 28 percent from the field and only made two 3-pointers on 18 attempts.  Their score of 45 points was the lowest of the season, even lower than their 49 points aboard the USS Midway in their season opener against Syracuse.

The long, athletic stature of the Aztecs didn’t help them in the open court and they were unable to convert any fast break points.

Aztec head coach Steve Fisher said the Aztecs were simply out played.

“We got outfought,” Fisher said. “We didn’t make shots … but that’s going to happen.  But when you get outfought and out-toughed and out-efforted, that’s inexcusable.  And it starts with me.”

Wyoming head coach Larry Shyatt, on the other hand, was very pleased with the effort his team displayed.

“I can’t say enough about how much I appreciate the effort this team gives, the way they share the ball and the defense they play,” Shyatt said.

The Cowboys, who also struggled in the first half on 8 of 25 shooting, made approximately 43 percent of their total shots from the field behind senior forward Leonard Washington’s 14 points and 14 rebounds.  Senior guard Derrious Gilmore also added
13 points.

The Cowboys were missing their second leading scorer, senior guard Luke Martinez, who according to the Casper Star-Tribune, was involved in a bar fight on Dec. 30 and had been suspended indefinitely.

The Aztecs travel to Reno on Wednesday for their second road game in a row to face off against the University of Nevada Wolf Pack.

Matt Kenyon

DA-Blogs

Crazy thing called life

I’m finally beginning to understand that the only definite thing in life is death. Morbid, but true. You can plan things all you want, but there’s never a solid guarantee they’re going to happen the way you think they wil...
by Caitlin Johnson
0

Donky Pitch

New releases from the exciting Donky Pitch

As you scour through the internet for new dance music, you are bound to stumble upon an iconic  silhouette of a donkey kicking out its hind legs. That silhouette is the proud logo of the exciting electronic music label Donky P...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0

stack of movies

Happy endings, unrequited love and all that drama: How movies have ruined real-life dating

Ask me what my favorite romantic movie is and without hesitation, I’ll tell you it’s author Nicholas Sparks’ best seller-turned-cinematic-masterpiece “A Walk To Remember.” If you haven’t read the book or seen the fi...
by Victoria Valenzuela
1

04_17_14_Entertainment_DaveMustaine_TravisShinn

Two distinct musical worlds collide

Last Saturday’s performance at Copley Symphony Hall was one to remember for the those who experienced the first ever “Symphony Interrupted,” showcasing Dave Mustaine as a soloist for the San Diego Symphony. What made it u...
by Josselyn Molina
0

04_17_14_Entertainment_METALGEARSOLID_JordanPollock

‘Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes’ is short but sweet

After years of teaser trailers and the whole Moby Dick Studios thing, the first bit of “Metal Gear Solid V” has finally been released in the form of “Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.” Since its release, people hav...
by Jordan Pollock
0