Aztecs out-perform Toreros

The San Diego State baseball team kicked off its 2013 baseball season this weekend with a three-game series against the No. 12 University of San Diego Toreros.

Friday’s game marked the inaugural game in USD’s newly renovated Fowler Park, but the Aztecs ruined the night for their hosts in the new ballpark, exploding for eight runs to grab game No. 1 of the series 8-1.

Junior second baseman Tim Zier finished the day with three hits and three runs batted in, while sophomore designated hitter Brad Haynal had three RBIs and sophomore center fielder Greg Allen added four singles to the 14-hit display the Aztecs put on.

Starting pitcher Michael Cederoth consistently pitched his way out of jams, going five innings and allowing only one earned run.

On Saturday, the Aztecs achieved the same result, but in a much more defensive way. The game was close until the ninth inning, when drama ensued.

With SDSU leading 4-2 heading into the bottom of the ninth, freshman closer Bubba Derby took the mound for the Aztecs, looking to close the game out. USD’s Dillon Haupt opened the inning with a single and teammate Louie Lechich followed with a double. Just like that, the Toreros had the tying runs sitting at second and third base, respectively.

Derby struck out the next batter for the first out of the inning. In the following play, Toreros second baseman Austin Bailey hit a grounder to the first baseman, who tagged the bag and threw home to the catcher. Grant Melker, pinch running for Haupt, was tagged out by the catcher for the last out of the game to preserve the 4-2 win.

The final game of the series took place on a perfect San Diego afternoon. Derby came in to close the game out in tremendous fashion, striking out the side with the bases loaded to give the Aztecs the 5-3 win and the series sweep. As a result of the sweep, the Aztecs were rewarded with the No. 22 ranking in the latest Baseball America poll.

SDSU enjoys its home opener at 6 p.m. tomorrow at the Tony Gwynn Stadium as it plays host to Oregon State University.

Aztecs out-perform Toreros