Aztecs stay on a roll

Well, the San Diego State women’s basketball team did it again. Last Saturday, SDSU beat the University of Nevada, Nevada, 58-45 for its 12th straight win. SDSU remains first in the Mountain West Conference and is now 21-5 overall.

Aztecs senior guard Courtney Clements opened Saturday’s game with a 3-pointer in the first three minutes of the first half.  As if that didn’t scare the Wolf Pack enough, senior guard Chelsea Hopkins quickly stole the ball back from Nevada and followed with a layup to give SDSU a 5-point lead.

The Wolf Pack caught up soon after and tied the game 7-7, but this was short-lived and less than a minute later, sophomore forward Chairese Culberson made a free throw to give the Aztecs back their lead. This was the first and last time Nevada tied SDSU during the game.

From then on, the Aztecs kept the shots coming and defensively tried to keep the Wolf Pack away from the net as much as possible.

SDSU went into the locker room leading 30-17 at halftime.

Despite the 13-point gap, Nevada never gave up and in the second half, eventually cutting the deficit to 6 points.

But the Aztecs weren’t going to let the Wolf Pack back into the game that easy. By the seventh minute, SDSU increased its lead to 17 points and Nevada couldn’t catch up.

Nevada’s senior guard Chanelle Brennan ended the game with two free throws, but it was too late-SDSU’s damage had already been done.

Overall, both teams shot poorly. The Aztecs shot 35.5 percent from the field and 84.6 percent from the free-throw line. The Wolf Pack, on the other hand, did even worse, shooting 25.9 percent from the field and making 14-of-18 free throws.

SDSU made 28 of its 58 points in the paint and seven fast break points.

Clements led the team with a whopping 21 points, followed by sophomore forward Erimma Amarikwa with 14 points and Hopkins with 13 points and 14 rebounds.

The Aztecs held the 47-35 rebounding advantage against the Wolf Pack.

At 7 p.m. this Wednesday, the Aztecs look to continue their winning streak as they face off against the University of New Mexico at Viejas Arena. SDSU only has three games left in the regular season.

Aztecs stay on a roll