5025 Apartments

February 14, 2013

CSU goes to church

Written by: Ana Ceballos

Black high school students attending certain Californian churches on Sundays can expect a different sermon: encouragement to attend California State universities.

CSU officials have been seeking new, prospective black students through the CSU African American Initiative, which targets middle and high school students in hopes of increasing college enrollment rates among the African-American community.

This initiative, started in 2006 during Chancellor Emeritus Charles B. Reed’s term. The CSU reached out to 11 churches and after seven years, more than 100 churches have been approached.

Chancellor Timothy P. White will attend his first Super Sunday, on Feb. 24 at the West Angeles Church of God in Christ, followed by an appearance on March 10 at the Glad Tidings Church of God in Christ in Hayward.

Even though this outreach program has no denominational restrictions, it’s taking place overwhelmingly at predominantly black churches.

The events held to promote the initiative reach more than 100,000 churchgoers. Since Reed began as chancellor in 1998, there has been a 30 percent increase in African-Americans earning degrees.

“Education is the key to a better future for California,” White said in a press release. “The CSU’s commitment is stronger than ever to motivate and encourage African-American students to prepare for college and earn a university degree.”

However, CSU Media Relations Specialist Erik Fallis said there is not a specific goal to progress from the 5 percent that makes up the African-American population in the CSU system.

“We want to give California equal representation,” Fallis said. “We want to be a university that doesn’t wait for their students to come and ask for help—we want to come to them.”

Initiative efforts show a 6 percent increase in the amount of applications received by African-American students.

The CSU African American Initiative is one of many initiatives created by CSU officials to increase outreach to misrepresented communities including Latinos, Native Americans, Asian-Americans and veterans.

Ana Ceballos
Ana Ceballos is a journalism senior and The Aztec's managing editor. She's a passionate writer for political and social issues affecting her community in San Diego.

by Chris Blakemore
0

by Chris Blakemore
0

Photo by Jenna Mackey, senior staff photographer

Kearny Mesa spices up San Diego

The Kearny Mesa area is about a 15 minute drive from campus. With more than 20 coffee places, grocery stores and eateries within a mile of each other, Kearny Mesa is easily accessible for foot travelers. The area has lots of e...
by Michelle Monroy
0

Photo courtesy of Thinkstock

Easy living down by the beach

As a Northern California native, the idea of living near the beach was always a distant dream until I got my acceptance letter to San Diego State. Even now that I live in San Diego, the sun-soaked beach towns have not lost thei...
by Hannah Beausang
0

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, photo editor

Living at the Residence Halls

With a major residence hall temporarily closing, first-time freshmen and upperclassmen will have expanded housing options going into fall 2014. The Zura Residence Hall is set to close for reconstruction beginning May 2014 and r...
by Jaclyn Palumbo
0