Sterling Alvarado

February 14, 2013

CSU goes to church

Written by: Ana Ceballos

Black high school students attending certain Californian churches on Sundays can expect a different sermon: encouragement to attend California State universities.

CSU officials have been seeking new, prospective black students through the CSU African American Initiative, which targets middle and high school students in hopes of increasing college enrollment rates among the African-American community.

This initiative, started in 2006 during Chancellor Emeritus Charles B. Reed’s term. The CSU reached out to 11 churches and after seven years, more than 100 churches have been approached.

Chancellor Timothy P. White will attend his first Super Sunday, on Feb. 24 at the West Angeles Church of God in Christ, followed by an appearance on March 10 at the Glad Tidings Church of God in Christ in Hayward.

Even though this outreach program has no denominational restrictions, it’s taking place overwhelmingly at predominantly black churches.

The events held to promote the initiative reach more than 100,000 churchgoers. Since Reed began as chancellor in 1998, there has been a 30 percent increase in African-Americans earning degrees.

“Education is the key to a better future for California,” White said in a press release. “The CSU’s commitment is stronger than ever to motivate and encourage African-American students to prepare for college and earn a university degree.”

However, CSU Media Relations Specialist Erik Fallis said there is not a specific goal to progress from the 5 percent that makes up the African-American population in the CSU system.

“We want to give California equal representation,” Fallis said. “We want to be a university that doesn’t wait for their students to come and ask for help—we want to come to them.”

Initiative efforts show a 6 percent increase in the amount of applications received by African-American students.

The CSU African American Initiative is one of many initiatives created by CSU officials to increase outreach to misrepresented communities including Latinos, Native Americans, Asian-Americans and veterans.

Ana Ceballos
Ana Ceballos is a journalism senior and The Aztec's managing editor. She's a passionate writer for political and social issues affecting her community in San Diego.

DA-News

Fire burns home near SDSU

A fire caused about $250,000 of damage to a home near San Diego State early Wednesday morning, fire officials said. There were five people in the house at the time of the blaze. All occupants escaped safely, and a nearby apartm...
by Hannah Beausang
0

Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 4.48.45 PM

APSA hosts annual fashion and talent show

This Friday, the Asian Pacific Student Alliance at San Diego State will host their 18th annual fashion and talent show from 6-10 p.m. in Montezuma Hall. This year’s event is titled “Here We Stand,” and will feature Asian-...
by Christine Whitman
0

04_17_14_Features_LITCollegeTour

LIT College Tour to engage and inspire students

If you want to get inspired, meet a mentor or talk with experts in various fields, the LIT College Tour is where you need to be this Saturday. The San Diego State Entrepreneur Society in association with the Cobian Marketing Gr...
by Chelsea Baer
0

04_17_14_Features_HealthExpo

Health expo will nourish students

Students won’t have to commute to a dietitian to learn healthy habits, as “Health Expo: The Road to Wellness” opens on the Centennial Walkway on April 17 from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The health expo is the combined effort of...
by Richard Freeland
0

DA-Features

Rimmel London’s Retro Cab will beautify stressed out students

When girls pick a hair tie instead of a ceramic curling iron and sweat pants instead of their favorite pair of skinny jeans, you know finals are fast approaching. Rimmel London is currently on a campus tour and is glamming its ...
by Michelle Monroy
0