Power Rankings

1. No. 24 Colorado State (19-4 overall, 6-2 Mountain West)

The Rams claim the top spot because of their remaining schedule. They’re a half-game behind New Mexico and a half game ahead of San Diego State. They lost close games to each of those teams in the first half of conference play, but the Rams get both the Lobos and Aztecs at home in the second half, where they haven’t lost since November 2011.

2. No. 19 New Mexico (20-4, 7-2)

The Lobos’ only loss in the first half of conference happened at SDSU, when they scored just 34 points. They opened the second half of conference with another loss at UNLV last Saturday. But the Lobos already beat the Runnin’ Rebels and Rams in Albuquerque, N.M. and still have the Aztec to play at home. Their game at Colorado State on Feb. 23 could potentially determine the conference regular-season champion.
3. San Diego State (18-5, 6-3)

The Aztecs could be in trouble in the second half of their MWC schedule. They went 2-1 at home against their three toughest opponents – UNLV, New Mexico and Colorado State – and now must face those three on the road, plus a game at Boise State to finish the year. They need junior point guard Xavier Thames to get healthy and stay healthy.

4. UNLV (18-6, 5-4)

The Runnin’ Rebels sit a game behind SDSU in the league standings, but have already won at Viejas Arena. Last Saturday, UNLV downed New Mexico at home and now gets SDSU and Colorado State in Las Vegas. If UNLV can muster road wins against Air Force, Wyoming and Nevada, they could make a late run at the league title.

5. Boise State (16-7, 4-5)

The Broncos are under .500 in league play, but are healthy and playing better after dealing with injuries. They recently beat UNLV at home, and came within 2.8 seconds of beating SDSU on the road. They must still travel to New Mexico and UNLV, but face CSU and SDSU at home. The Broncos won’t win the league, but they can disrupt the top teams.

6. Air Force (14-8, 5-4)

The Falcons have been the biggest surprise of the conference, although a loss at Nevada last Saturday hurt their chances of finishing in the top half of the standings. An upside for the Falcons is they will play UNLV, Colorado State and New Mexico at home in the second half of conference play. Look for Air Force to play spoiler to teams trying to win the conference.

7. Nevada (12-11, 3-6)

The Wolf Pack is coming off of a nice home victory against Air Force on Saturday, but the schedule gets tough from here. The only game they’ll be favored in the rest of the way will be a home date against Fresno State.

8. Wyoming (16-7, 2-7)

The Cowboys entered conference play undefeated, but have since gone 2-7 in the league, with their last conference victory coming against SDSU six games ago.

9. Fresno State (8-14, 2-7)

The Bulldogs are the only truly bad team in the conference, but they did pick up a big win against UNLV last Wednesday at home. SDSU, CSU and UNM should send a thank-you note.

Power Rankings