SDSU campus offers healthy choices

02_25_13_Features_HealthyEating_JOKiss the college days of greasy pizza with a side of bad grades goodbye—it’s time to put an end to that tragic combination.

But how is a college student supposed to eat healthy on such a small budget without even having money for gas to go anywhere? Don’t despair—this article will give you the inside scoop on how to eat healthy at San Diego State on a tight budget. No driving involved!

Vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free, oh my!

Finding healthy, affordable food on campus is not an easy task. However, imagine how much more difficult it would be to find vegetarian, vegan or gluten-free options and still stay within your food budget.

SDSU child and family development junior Hollyanne Setola is a vegan and highly allergic to soy, dairy and gluten.

“I have always prepared my meals the night before and brought them to school,” Setola said. “I thought that with my severe allergies, there was nothing I could eat on campus. I could not imagine a place that I could sit down and eat a healthy meal here.  That would be so huge for me and such a big help.”

All right, so what are my options?

Students should visit Olive Oil Organic Cafe, which provides a huge array of dietary accommodations that are delicious and affordable.

“Our motto is, ‘Be free to be yourself, be natural and be organic.’  Whether vegetarian, or vegan, I guarantee you we have a tasty option just for you,” Olive Oil Organic Cafe chef and owner Vanessa Karmo said.

Food prices at Olive Oil Organic Cafe range from $2.99 to $9. A favorite penny-pinching deal is the $3 cup of soup.  Ingredients are organic, pesticide and chemical-free. The paninis that had my mouthwatering include Green Goddess (portabello mushrooms, artichokes, goat cheese, caramelized onions, spinach tomato and pesto aioli) and Mega Grilled Cheese (provolone, goat cheese, cheddar, roasted tomatoes, avocado and garlic butter).

As a lifelong vegetarian, I was astounded to find such a
delicious on-campus restaurant that could accommodate my meat-free
lifestyle.

Smoothies—your healthy spin on life

Forgot to set your alarm clock again? Need a healthy on-the-go snack?  Juice It Up! is a great choice. Ranging from $4 to $6, al- natural, sugar-free smoothies are a healthy option and use soy milk to accommodate a vegan lifestyle. It also offers meal alternatives such as acai and yogurt bowls.

“Many students replace a meal with our Acai and Yogurt
bowls because they are so quick, affordable and packed with nutrients,” Juice It Up! Manager Ruben Ibarra said.

Channel your inner Julia Child

The farmer’s market on Thursdays is one of the best places on campus to buy fresh fruit and vegetables. Skip the chips on the way to class next Thursday and grab some pita bread and hummus instead. You can use veggies to get creative in your kitchen like
Julia Child.

The Salad Bistro is another great choice, especially for students with picky eating habits and/or allergies. A 10-foot buffet-styled salad bar allows students to get creative by finding their inner chef.  Salad prices range from $5 to $7.

Fast, fast food

Sugars, calories and fats lurk in fast-food products. Restaurants throughout West Commons such as Taco Bell offer healthier options. At Taco Bell, ask for fresco style to get fresh salsa (packed with cancer- fighting lycopene) instead of fatty cheese and sauce.  Ranging from 140-350 calories, Taco Bell’s grilled soft taco and crunchy taco are great for students looking for a good deal on a limited budget.

If you’ve been looking for a sign to tell you to begin your new healthy college lifestyle, this is it. Start filling your body with healthy, inexpensive foods and get rid of those “freshman 15” pounds. There’s no need to leave campus to find healthy foods on a budget.

By making a positive lifestyle change, you can save money while being a healthy Aztec.

SDSU campus offers healthy choices