SDSU wins eighth straight

Women’s Basketball defeat Fresno State

Fresno State became the eighth victim of the San Diego State women’s basketball team’s winning streak. On Saturday, the Aztecs beat the Bulldogs 74-49 in Fresno.

SDSU got off to a hot start from the beginning of the first half, opening with a 3-pointer by senior guard Chelsea Hopkins, which quickly took away Fresno State’s first and only lead during the game. The Bulldogs tried, but could not keep the Aztecs from scoring. SDSU went into the locker room leading by 16 points.

During the second half, the Aztecs continued to increase the lead, while the Bulldogs continued to struggle.

The Aztecs shot 51 percent from the field and made 6-of-7 free throws against the Bulldogs.

Senior guard Courtney Clements scored 20 points, while senior center Malia Nahinu scored a career-high 18 points.

Hopkins had 17 points and led the team with 7 assists. Hopkins and Nahinu each had 11 rebounds.

On Monday, Hopkins was named the Mountain West Woman’s Basketball Player of the Week for the fourth time this season, making her the first SDSU player to earn the honor four times in a single year.

Track and Field competes in N.M.

On Friday, the San Diego State women’s track team competed in the Don Kirby Elite Invitational at the Albuquerque Convention Center in Albuquerque, N.M.

Junior Shanieka Thomas finished first in triple jump with a mark of 46 feet and 2 1/2 inches, which is now the sixth-best indoor triple jump mark in NCAA track and field history, a MW record and a Don Kirby Elite Invitational record.

Finishing in third was senior Alex Evans with a triple jump mark of 40 feet, 5 inches.

Sophomore Kristen Brown finished third in the finals of the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.35 seconds, ranking No. 3 in school history.

During the meet, several Aztec pole-vaulters went on to hit personal and season best records.

Junior Allison Reaser, graduate student Deyna Roberson, junior Maderia Toatley and Thomas competed together in the 4×400 meter relay. They placed No. 7 in the race, but their time of 3:44.41 is the fifth fastest time in SDSU’s indoor history.

Softball goes 3-2 in Arizona

The softball season is now in full swing and the San Diego State softball team spent  last weekend competing in the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Ariz.

The Aztecs first competed against Creighton University, where redshirt senior pitcher Rebecca Arbino struck out a career-high 11 batters and did not allow an earned run throughout seven innings. SDSU went on to beat the Bluejays 5-2.

Next, the Aztecs played Stephen F. Austin State University, losing 2-1, but defeated Northwestern University 7-5 later in the day.

The following day, SDSU went on to beat Western Michigan University 5-1, then lost to Arizona State 3-2. The Aztecs are 3-2 overall this season.

SDSU wins eighth straight