Allen is The Daily Aztec’s Male Athlete of the Month

03_04_13_Sports_BaseballAllen#9_PN
Paige Nelson, Photo Editor

Baseball season just started on Montezuma Mesa, but fans are already excited about the performances on the field by the San Diego State baseball team.

After sweeping then No. 12 University of San Diego in the three-game series, the Aztecs suffered a five-game losing streak before getting back in the winning column with three straight victories to get back above .500.

A large part of the reason SDSU has done so well on the baseball diamond is sophomore center fielder Greg Allen. For his efforts, Allen was selected as The Daily Aztec’s Athlete of the Month for February.

Throughout the first 11 games of the season, Allen led the team with a .370 batting average, 13 runs scored, 17 hits, 18 total bases and four stolen bases. His three walks and six RBIs are each tied for third most on
the team.

Against USD, Allen went 7 for 13 (.538) with five runs scored during the series to jumpstart SDSU’s season.

Most recently against Seton Hall University, Allen scored three runs in each of the first two games of
the series.

The San Diego native, who played at Hilltop High School in Chula Vista, continued where he left off his freshman season. As a freshman, Allen hit .312 with two home runs, 31 RBIs and 11 stolen bases. His 11 stolen bases and 22 multiple-hit games led the team last season.

Allen was also named to the all-Mountain West Tournament team after hitting .438 with two home runs, six runs scored and four RBIs in
four games.

As a primary right fielder last season, Allen moved to center field
this season.

The move has paid off for both Allen and SDSU head coach
Tony Gwynn.

“Greg Allen is one of the most complete players you’re going to get,” Gwynn said to goaztecs.com. “This kid covers a lot of ground- a
lot of ground.”