Aztecs dominate San Diego Classic, finish tourney 5-0

03_20_13_Sports_WSoftball_JOAfter returning home from a tough tournament in Fresno, the San Diego State softball team finished a perfect 5-0 to sweep the San Diego Classic II.

Game 1: San Diego State 13, Bryant University 6

The Aztecs got back on the winning track, tying season highs with 13 runs and 15 hits to kick off the tournament. Junior outfielder Patrice Jackson led the charge in the seventh inning hitting a monster grand slam that sparked six runs. Senior second baseman Tiffany Corder also played well, scoring three runs and recording a triple. The Bulldogs couldn’t get anything going after they took a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the first. This game was a total team effort and every Aztec contributed to the win. Freshman pitcher Danielle O’Toole struck out a career-high nine batters to pick up the win.

Game 2: SDSU 2, San Jose State University 0

The game opened up a little shaky for the Aztecs, as the Spartans had two runners on with no outs in the first inning. Fortunately, senior ace Rebecca Arbino was able to force three consecutive ground ball force-outs to send the Spartans back to the dugout. Arbino struck out five and tossed her third complete shutout of the season. Sophomore outfielder Kayla Jordan and freshman shortstop Monica Downey added an RBI apiece to put the Spartans, who are 19-10 overall, away.

Game 3: SDSU 4, State University of New York at Buffalo 2

Through five innings, the game was frustrating for the Aztecs. SDSU left two runners in scoring position with one out in the fourth and the bases loaded in the fifth with no outs. The game remained scoreless until Jackson broke the silence, hitting a solo home run to give the Aztecs a lead in the top of the sixth inning. SDSU wouldn’t look back as it added three runs in the seventh to drop the Bulls for good. Arbino picked up the win, relieving O’Toole in the fifth inning.

Game 4: SDSU 9, Seton Hall University 0

The game belonged to Jackson, who hit two home runs to continue her hot streak at the plate in the tournament and tied a school record. Junior designated pitcher Lorena Bauer, Downey and Jordan also had two hits each to contribute to 11 Aztec hits. The Pirates couldn’t get much going, only collecting six hits and committing two errors. O’Toole, who is 8-5 overall, picked up the win and also struck out six batters.

Game 5: SDSU 3, Texas Tech University 0

SDSU topped off the tournament with one of its biggest wins of the season defeating Texas Tech University. The Red Raiders were on a 10-game winning streak prior to the game. The game remained scoreless through five innings. Senior first baseman Kamerin May broke the tie in the sixth inning hitting an RBI single to score Jordan, who reached base after being hit by a pitch. Bauer responded strongly by hitting her team-leading eighth home run of the season to put the dagger in the Red Raiders. Arbino, who is 10-7 overall, picked up the win as she had a no-hitter through seven innings. Arbino faced a very strong Texas Tech ball club that had a combined .354 batting average on the season.