Aztecs seeking second consecutive outright MW title

Frontcourt

Aztecs:  Senior center Malia Nahinu is a force down in the post. Her 52 blocks on the season tops the team and she leads the Mountain West at two blocks per game. Other contributors include sophomore Erimma Amarikwa, who is shooting almost 50 percent from the field and senior Gabrielle Clark who is shooting 88 percent from the free throw line.
Falcons:  Senior Dymond James is the main attraction for a depleted Air Force Academy Falcons post, leading the squad with 7.4 rebounds per game and is second in scoring at 8.9 points per game. Next in line is senior Katie Hilbig, who averages 6.6 rebounds per game. While James’ 8.9 points per game is a decent average, she will have a tough time against Nahinu down in the paint.

Backcourt

Aztecs:  It’s no secret that the Aztecs make their living in their backcourt by way of seniors Chelsea Hopkins and Courtney Clements.  The last time these teams met, Hopkins scored 14 points and grabbed eight rebounds. She currently leads the team at 7.8 rebounds and 6.5 assists per game. Clements is on a hot streak after dropping 29 points in the whopping defeat of the University of New Mexico last week.

Falcons: The player to watch in the backcourt for the Falcons is senior Alicia Leipprandt. The last time these teams played, she led her team with 18 points. Her 13.1 points per game is the best on the team. The other member of the backcourt is junior Cherae Medina, whose 96 assists on the season leads the team by more than 40.

Intangibles

Aztecs:  Sitting atop the Mountain West standings, it looks like the Aztecs are destined to be the regular-season conference champions. With a 22-5 total record, this is without a doubt one of the best seasons the women’s team has had and it can make a serious run in the NCAA tournament.

Falcons: It’s safe to say the Falcons will be playing the role of underdog in this contest against the Aztecs. One thing the team has going for it is that it’s playing at home where all four of its wins have come from. Look for the Falcons to be more competitive on their home floor.