Kelli Boling is a big reason for SDSU’s success

The No.6 San Diego State women’s water polo team is coming off a 3-0 weekend after defeating Big West Conference opponent Long Beach State 6-5 last Friday. On Saturday the Aztecs downed Brown University, 11-5 and the University of Redlands, 12-5. Staff writer Courtney Muller sat down with sophomore left-handed driver Kelli Boling to discuss the team’s accomplishments and goals for the remainder of the season as the Aztecs get ready to spend spring break in Hawaii.

The Daily Aztec: What do you think the team’s strengths are this season?

Kelli Boling: I think the fact that we are all good friends outside of the pool allows us to play really well together inside the pool.

DA: How do you think the team did over the weekend against Brown and Redlands?

KB: I think we played really well against Brown and Redlands. We still have certain things to improve on, but I’m happy with our team’s performance.

DA: The team leaves for Hawaii on Wednesday, are you excited?

KB: We’re all really excited for Hawaii. We have our (Big West) Conference game against Hawaii, which will be a really good game. We also play (University of California, San Diego). They have been playing really well, so that will be a fun game. Stanford is our third game and playing against them will really show us where we are at as a team. Keeping up with Stanford will be our goal, since they are the defending NCAA champions.

DA: What are the team’s goals going into the last half of the season?

KB: Our goal is to go into the Big West Conference Championships and beat UC Irvine since (the team is) one of our biggest rivals. Beating UCI would be huge for us since it could allow us an automatic bid to the NCAA Championships at Harvard.

DA: What is your favorite part about being an Aztec?

KB: My favorite part about being an Aztec is how close the athletic family is. I love going to other athletes’ games to support them and cheer them on. I love being a part of the Aztec athletics family.