Sterling Alvarado

Opinion

March 5, 2013

Learn about LGBT community during Culture Week

Written by: Carmen Huerta

Walking through the white arches of Hepner Hall heading to and from class, it’s easy to notice great examples of diversity of ethnicities, religions and cultures coexisting on campus. San Diego State is a haven of more than 30,000 students striving to grow academically and culturally while trying to graduate on time.

However, some students fail to develop a truly well-rounded education. Interacting with individuals from different cultural backgrounds makes students more worldly and gives them a better understanding of their peers. We live in a society where employers don’t want to hire ethnocentric employees. They seek those with an academic edge, such as lesbian, gay, transsexual and bisexual major or minors who demonstrate an understanding of diversity.

SDSU’s Student Diversity Commission and the Office of Intercultural Relations will present the second annual Culture Week starting on April 22. OIR Director Tanis Starck said Culture Week will be an opportunity for students to learn about cultural values and new ideas. During this week, students can participate in events focused on social justice issues, key historical figures and celebrate diversity while enjoying food and music.

This event is meant to shine light on multiculturalism and the many cultural organizations on campus. The question is, does the LGBT community consider itself a culture?

Some might consider LGBT more of a lifestyle than a culture. Merriam-Webster defines lifestyle as “the typical way of life of an individual, or culture.” Culture is defined as “the customary beliefs, social forms and material traits of a racial, religious or social group.”

The LGBT community doesn’t need the cultural identifiers of specific cuisines, music or rituals. The uniqueness of this culture is predominantly based on sexual orientation and identification. Individuality is emphasized and pride valued.

Culturally, the LGBT community has many common values and traditions. “Coming out” is a term used when an individual identifies himself or herself as LGBT. It’s a right of passage for many and unfortunately, it’s not an easy road for everyone. The LGBT community is built on the value of oneself, respecting differences and loving your neighbors.

Students can do their parts by visiting the LGBT booth during Culture Week, asking questions and becoming involved in the conversation. Push for the implementation of LGBT student representatives in student organizations on campus to answer questions on LGBT issues. Become an SDSU ally and work to improve the campus climate.

Psychology junior Yamille Bassi said steps such as these will bridge the gap between LGBT issues and multiculturalism.

Bassi, an executive member of LGBT Student Union and a member of the first national lesbian sorority Ghamma Rho Lambda, said she wants to show SDSU’s faculty, staff and students what the LGBT community is all about.

Culture Week is a great opportunity to show students diverse perspectives and take cultural learning outside the classroom.

Starch said it is a way for “students to discuss a sense of community and become more integrated into SDSU through the celebration of all our different cultures.”

The introduction of the LGBT studies major at SDSU gave the LGBT community academic and cultural recognition. SDSU is one of the top-ranking LGBT-friendly campuses in the California State University system.

“Its not just about who we are attracted to,” Bassi said. “It’s also a culture. Prepare yourself for a week-long cultural journey.”

Carmen Huerta

1897847_699528053437959_3902127434730256396_n

Dancers will give knockout performance

K.O. Hip Hop Dance Team will have its first annual showcase this Wednesday, 8-10 p.m. The showcase will take place in the Aztec Student Union Theater. Admission is free and food will be provided. “K.O. stands for Koalition, w...
by Carly Bertolozzi
0

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, Photo Editor

SDSU launches first ‘Trans Week of Empowerment’

On April 7, San Diego State kicked off its first Trans* Week of Empowerment to bring positive visibility to the transgender community. The event was inspired by Trans Day of Empowerment, a national event that began in San Diego...
by Adriana Millar
0

Draft Day movie stills

Sports drama will mostly attract football lovers

Football fans far and wide, this is the movie for you. Directed by Ivan Reitman, “Draft Day” stars Kevin Costner as General Manager of the Cleveland Browns Sonny Weaver Jr. The drama takes place on NFL draft day, the one da...
by Hayley Spence
0

NCAA Final Four semifinals Arlington, TX

SDSU shows maturity in NCAA pandemonium

Rare is the opinion column in praise of an issue or event. But San Diego State sports fans deserve kudos following a couch-fire season without a single sofa set ablaze in San Diego. Lord knows the Aztecs’ men’s basketball t...
by Mike Heral
0

Ian Walsh-portrait

Sun and snow collide at Red Bull event

Normally San Diego State students wouldn’t be enthusiastic about waking up at 6 a.m. on a Saturday; most students have issues getting up by noon. But on Saturday, March 29 several SDSU students eagerly hopped out of bed with ...
by Christine Whitman
2