Aztecs prepare for three-game showdown at UNLV

Pitching 

SDSU: Nobody is hotter on this Aztec pitching staff than sophomore Michael Cederoth. In his last two starts, he fanned a combined 25 batters and has only surrendered two earned runs in two Aztec victories. If the other starters can hold a lead for the bull pen, freshman Bubba Derby will close it out.

UNLV: The Rebels are struggling of late, losing four of their last six games. A lot of those losses fall on the shoulders of the pitching staff. Freshman Bryan Bonnell, in his only start of the year, got beat to the tune of seven earned runs in 1.1 innings against Arizona State University. The Rebels’ best starter this season has been junior Buddy Borden.

Edge: SDSU

Batting

SDSU: In the last series against UNLV, all three games were low-scoring affairs won because of pitching. With that said, the Aztecs can hit when called upon, having accumulated six double-digit scoring games this season. Sophomore first baseman Ryan Muno did well in the team’s last series against UNLV, going four for eight with an RBI and three runs. Junior second baseman Tim Zier should also play a role in the series, showing he can rake in the RBIs with 24 on the season.

UNLV: What UNLV lacks in pitching, it makes up in the power game with slugging senior outfielder Brandon Bayardi. He feasted on SDSU pitching last series, going five for 13 and driving in four runs. The Aztec pitching staff would be smart to pitch around him and make other Rebel batters beat them this series. Senior outfielder Mark Shannon is also a dangerous hitter, leading the team with 31 RBIs.

Edge: UNLV

Intangibles

SDSU: While SDSU has a record more than .500 (19-17) and took two of three from UNLV last time, the Aztecs could be in trouble this series.  This series will be played on the road—the Aztecs struggle away from home, going 9-12 this season. On the other hand, SDSU won five of its last seven and its pitching staff looks untouchable. What will prevail: good pitching or hitting?

UNLV: Even though UNLV is going through a rough patch in its season, the Rebels should feel good about themselves. Coming into this series, they are 14-6 at home, and were able to keep every game close during the last series. While sputtering at the moment, this team can flat out hit and knows to get the job done at home.

Edge: UNLV

Defense

SDSU: Senior catcher Jake Romanski is the glue that holds this defense together. He’s thrown out more than half of would-be base stealers and is an extra coach behind the dish, helping pitchers call games. Junior shortstop Evan Potter is also solid, shouldering a .964 fielding percentage and turning 20 double plays.

UNLV: This is the biggest gap between the two teams: UNLV has committed 26 more errors this season than the Aztecs, 24 of those errors have come from sophomore T.J. White. If SDSU can put some balls in play to the left side of the infield, it will be able to force some errors.

Edge: SDSU

Prediction  

SDSU takes two of three