Sterling Alvarado

April 8, 2013

Science Beat

Written by: Will Houston

STFNew strain of avian flu begins to spread through China

Last week in China, a strain of the bird flu labeled H7N9 virus killed six of the 21 Chinese citizens reported to have contracted the disease. Though the spread of the disease may seem minimal, many flu researchers say the number of cases is relatively large for the early stage of the outbreak. The first case of a H7N9 was reported in mid-February and has since been confirmed in several locations nationwide.

The Shanghai Center for Disease Control and Prevention reported no evidence suggesting the disease can spread among human beings. Current cases have occurred from contact with infected birds. However, Shanghai officials are taking every necessary precaution to prevent further spread of the disease. Last Thursday, more than 20,000 birds at a market in Songjiang were slaughtered after a report of an infected pigeon. Though these precautions seem drastic, local authorities say it was necessary because of hidden symptoms of the H7N9 strain in birds. Unlike previous strains such as H5N1, birds infected with the H7N9 strain display no signs of illness, making detection and tracking of the disease much more arduous.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is working with China to further quell the spread of the disease and has told U.S. citizens to be on the lookout for any symptoms. The CDC created diagnostic kits for Chinese and U.S. citizens, and hopes to create a vaccine should the disease begin to spread among humans.

The emergence of this new, and possibly deadly, strain alludes to the H5N1 bird flu outbreak of 2003, which killed about 60 percent of the 622 people infected. Researchers are unsure how the H7N9 virus will compare to H5N1, but many are worried that the new strain is adapting to infect mammals.

The outbreak of the H7N9 virus in China will be an important story to follow for the SDSU students attending the study abroad course this summer in Xiamen, China. The two-week course will focus on the spread of infectious diseases and global change in China.

Three-year study provides evidence on the origins of life

For millennia, human beings have asked the unsolvable question, “Why are we here?” One approach to answering this perplexing inquiry is with another question: “How did we get here?”

A three-year study by Florida State University College of Medicine structural biologist Michael Blaber and his research team sought to peel back the mystery to discover just how life came to be more than 3.5 billion years ago.

Blaber’s study suggests 10 amino acids that may have existed before Earth’s environment was able to sustain life, were able to form proteins that could fold in high-salt environments. The proteins formed by these prebiotic amino acids would then be capable of carrying out basic metabolic activities for the first organisms on the Earth.

The results of Blaber’s study are among many other theories concerning the origin of life. Many of these theories suggest ribonucleic acid molecules were the original building blocks of life. Other theories suggest life only adapted to high-salt environments and were created in high-temperature environments such as hydrothermal vents in the ocean. Blaber said life took a much different path than was previously thought.

“There are numerous niches that life can evolve into,” Blaber said in a press release. “For example, extremophiles are organisms that exist in high temperatures, high acidity, extreme cold…and so on. For life to exist in such environments it is essential that proteins are able to adapt in those conditions. In other words, they have to be able to fold.”

Recent evidence of the presence of amino acids in comet fragments suggest the building blocks of life were brought from the cosmos. Of the 20 common amino acids, 10 are created through biotic pathways and the other 10 were created through chemical processes predating the origin of life. Blaber used this piece of information to experiment on the different ways these amino acids formed peptide bonds. From this, he was able to create a protein from 12 of the amino acids that are capable of folding.

Should Blaber’s theory hold true, scientists across the globe will have to rethink the process that led to life’s arrival.

Will Houston

Screenshot of Student Success Fee email.

Student Success Fee survey closes with low participation

The Student Success Fee survey, which was sent out for the first time April 7th, closed with 2,594 student votes last Friday. This survey was the only opportunity for the students to provide feedback on what courses they though...
by Camille Lozano
0

04_24_14_opinon_taxes_thinkstock

Students are missing out on essential life skills

The phrase “growing up” entails many things. Usually, the first aspect that comes to mind is responsibility. I’m talking about­­ real, personal responsibility, part of which is financial responsibility. Throughout the y...
by Kelly Gardner
0

04_24_14_Opinion_Coachella_WesleyBeights

Coachella is about the music, not outfits and celebrities

There are two three-day weekends in April that are filled with music, a little bit of art, trendy and ridiculous outfits, and some hot celebrities. This shindig is called Coachella, but I’m sure I didn’t need to tel...
by Sabrina Shahawi
0

04_24_14_Features_West_MonicaLinzmeier

Event will “start up” student careers

Looking for a job or internship can be a challenging task. Thankfully, San Diego State is making it easier with Start-up @ State. Hosted by the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center, the Entrepreneur Society and Startup Circle, Start-u...
by Melissa Artobello
0

Comcast Reports Quarterly Earnings Rise 16 Percent

‘Worst Company in America’ contest reveals concerning priorities

There is another bracket that’s worth some attention during March madness. It’s none other than the annual Consumerist’s Worst Company in America awards. Every year since 2010, consumers have voted and awarded the coveted...
by KC Stanfield
0