Pita Jungle takes patrons’ tastebuds for a wild ride

05_07_13_Features_PitaJungle_ML2Located in the heart of Hillcrest, Pita Jungle offers an array of Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and vegan food. Open Mon – Thur from 11 a.m. – 10 p.m. and Fri 11 a.m. – 11 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., this trendy new dining restaurant is sure to bring smiles. With the detailed red and yellow decor outside will catch anyone’s eye while driving through the streets of Hillcrest. The stylish exterior continues inside with an air sophistication and glamour.  Chandeliers enclosed in bird cages show off an elegant, yet quirky side of the restaurant. Patrons will be sure to notice an array of abstract colorful paintings scattered across the walls.

Not only does the restaurant management pay attention to detail, but the place also serves palatable food. With different menu options to meet any diner’s needs, Pita Jungle brings in a wide variety of customers. There were many children inside, likely indulging in the special kids menus.  Its world famous hummus has many people frequenting Pita Jungle. The traditional hummus is a combination of chickpea puree with tahini sauce, seasoned with fresh garlic and lemon juice. If customers want to go a nontraditional route, there are also many other hummus flavors to choose from.

05_07_13_Features_PitaJungle_ML1

From burgers, pizzas, pitas, wraps and salads, Pita Jungle thought of everything.  To start off, I ordered a delicious roasted bell pepper hummus appetizer before enjoying a gyro pita.  The pita consisted of broiled beef marinated with spices and herbs served and topped with mixed greens, tomatoes and onions. For dessert, I had a big bowl a rice pudding and a mouthwatering turtle cheesecake which I shared with my roommates.

Everything on the menu at Pita Jungle is reasonably priced for a college student looking to take a lunch break with friends. The cheapest dish on the menu is hummus at $5.99 and the most expensive is the wood-fired fresh Smoked Salmon at $16. These low prices are a steal for the high-quality food customers receive.

Vegetarians, don’t worry, Pita Jungle thought of you, too.  A vegetarian favorite, the grilled marinated portobello mushroom burger with roasted red bell pepper, mixed greens and tomatoes, is served with Dijon mustard and garlic potatoes on the side is a vegetarian favorite. This mushroom burger along with the chipotle black bean burger and veggie burger are popular as well.

Pita Jungle aims to provide friendly customer service with attentive servers and hip music, customers leave the eatery feeling satisfied and ready to come back for another meal.

05_07_13_Features_PitaJungle_ML3

Whether you’re vegetarian, allergic to certain foods or just want to know the nutritional facts, don’t hesitate to ask the servers. The staff is trained to know the ins and outs of what goes into the food.

Hillcrest locals can attest to the limited amount of parking, but trust me, it’s well worth the wait. Most college students want to go somewhere they can relax and enjoy each other’s company. Of course, a little glass of wine or a bottle of beer never hurts. Pita Jungle has an exceptional happy hour, which runs daily from 2 p.m. – 6 p.m., along with a reverse happy hour daily from 9 p.m. to close. Tapas during happy hour are $3 or less.

Pita Jungle is definitely a great stop for a quick, healthy bite with friends. The contemporary yet trendy ambiance is perfect for a day out around town. Hillcrest is an excellent place to walk around on a hot day and with summer approaching Pita Jungle will be a definite hot spot for the locals.  Don’t hesitate to stop by and order some mouthwatering meals.