Thursday at Comic-Con exceeded expectations

I arrived at Comic-Con about an hour early and the day quickly picked up. I first went to the Nintendo Gaming Lounge at the Marriott Hotel and took a press tour with a couple of other writers. Getting to watch demos of Nintendo Wii U games such as “The Wonderful 101” and “Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze” was a blast and both games looked like old-fashioned fun.

The Wonderful 101
The Wonderful 101

I then roamed around the Exhibit Hall at the Convention Center for just a little bit so I could attend panels. Some of the coolest booths that I saw were drawings of “The Big Bang Theory” characters and some freaky zombies promoting “The Walking Dead.”

My next destination was the Hilton San Diego Bayfront where I attended a round table with the actors that comprised the Comedy Legends of TV Land panel. I’ve only attended a couple of press events in the past, but I always feel like a kid going to meet Santa Clause whenever I get an opportunity like this. I can now say that I have sat at a table with William Shatner (twice), Roseanne Barr and Wayne “Newman” Knight. My only complaint is that I didn’t get to ask what is up with the Shatner and Betty White love connection. Not only did she participate in his roast, but they’ve acted together in “Hot in Cleveland” and “Boston Legal.”

Wayne Knight
Wayne Knight

Afterwards, I went to a hidden gem of a room back at the Convention Center. Room 6BCF is not as well known as Hall H or Ballroom 20, but it provides just as entertaining of an experience. I got to sing along to the “Duck Tales” theme song at the Capcom panel, learn more about the craft of voice acting at the “I Know That Voice” panel and laughed hysterically every few seconds at the R-rated antics of Trey Parker and Matt Stone at the “Sotuh Park:The Stick of Truth” panel.

BPf7vIFCcAAtH1Y.jpg-large
Trey Parker

Thursday never seemed to have a dull moment from beginning to end. I sure hope the rest of the weekend can match it. 

William Shatner
William Shatner

David Dixon, Staff Writer
Since, 2005, when he became a writer for the now defunct Rated G column at the San Diego Union Tribune, David Dixon has been writing theatre and film reviews, interviews, covering Comic-Con, and other entertainment related stories, for numerous papers and websites. In addition to his experience as the Entertainment Editor of San Diego State University's The Daily Aztec, in 2014 he won First and Second Place in College Print: Reviews from the San Diego Press Club Excellence in Journalism Awards, and in 2013 he was awarded First and Third Place. Currently, David is a staff writer for TDA, a contributor for sandiegostory.com and a freelance writer for the San Diego Community News Network.