5025 Apartments

Sports

October 30, 2013

Aztec hockey topples Bruins in OT win

Written by: Rafael Avitabile
Tags: , ,
Photo by Kristian Carreon, Staff Photographer

The San Diego State Hockey Club returned home with more to celebrate than Saturday night’s 6-5 overtime win against the University of California, Los Angeles.

Freshman Megan Thompson checked in her first game of the season, marking the first time in program history that a female skater played in a game for SDSU.

“Being on the ice was honestly so amazing. I hadn’t played in a game in so long, I forgot how much fun I’d have,” Thompson said. “I was super nervous before the game, but the team and coach were really supportive and helped me overcome that feeling.”

“Megan played well; I give her a lot of credit,” head coach Chris Migliore said. “She didn’t shy away from anything. She is a good, tough player.”

Thompson, who is listed as a forward, saw her first action at right wing. She came close to scoring her first goal as her shot off of a rebound went just wide of the net.

“It’s frustrating when you’re so close, but just barely miss the play,” Thompson said. “It just shows me what I need to work on so that the next time I’m in a situation like that, it’ll be a goal.”

This was not Thompson’s first time playing among men, she welcomed physicality from the opposition.

“I’ve always played men’s hockey so I’m used to the aggressive tone,” Thompson said. “Personally, I love the aggression.”

The overtime win was filled with drama and excitement, but the win won’t keep the Aztecs out of the doghouse for their lackluster play.

“We did not execute. Our players weren’t focused on the task,” Migliore said. “UCLA played well but we are not happy with the results. Our players need to understand that just showing up will not win games. We have a lot of work to do.”

The Aztecs will look to right the ship before Friday night’s game against Oregon.

Rafael Avitabile

Draft Day movie stills

Sports drama will mostly attract football lovers

Football fans far and wide, this is the movie for you. Directed by Ivan Reitman, “Draft Day” stars Kevin Costner as General Manager of the Cleveland Browns Sonny Weaver Jr. The drama takes place on NFL draft day, the one da...
by Hayley Spence
0

Ian Walsh-portrait

Sun and snow collide at Red Bull event

Normally San Diego State students wouldn’t be enthusiastic about waking up at 6 a.m. on a Saturday; most students have issues getting up by noon. But on Saturday, March 29 several SDSU students eagerly hopped out of bed with ...
by Christine Whitman
2

04_14_14_Enter_SchoolboyQ

Schoolboy Q satisfied with impressive set

Last Saturday, Los Angeles rapper Schoolboy Q performed at WorldBeat Cultural Center in Balboa Park for his Oxymoron tour. The sold-out show in San Diego also featured Long Beach rapper Vince Staples and Q’s labelmate Isaiah ...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, Photo Editor

Aztec softball sweeps Wolf Pack

The San Diego State campus repopulated slowly throughout the weekend, with students trickling from their various spring break endeavors. One spot on campus, however, saw steady action all weekend long: the SDSU Softball Stadium...
by Matt D'Ambrosi
0

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, Photo Editor

Water polo finish up home play with a close victory against LMU

The San Diego State water polo team won 6-5 in a nail-biter in their final home game last Saturday thanks to a game-winning goal by junior driver Anique Hermannn with .22 seconds against No. 11 Loyola Marymount. Going in to the...
by Zachary Loper
0