Aztec Student Union will welcome all in January

On Tuesday, Associated Students announced the events that will take place during the new Aztec Student Union’s grand opening this spring.

The $104 million project will conclude its construction period in December of this year and will offer the San Diego State community tours during the first week of school in January 2014, according to an A.S. press release. The four-story building will feature a fitness center, a bowling and gaming center, a lactation room and a variety of dining options, among other amenities.

As part of the grand opening, a set of “Welcome Home” events open to all students, faculty, alumni and community members will take place throughout the semester.

Themed celebrations will be held from March 3-8, including a Taste of the Union Day, Recreation and Wellness Day, Arts and Culture Day and a Sustainability Day meant to highlight the project’s Platinum Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.  At 4:30 p.m. on  Friday, March 7, there will be a ribbon-cutting ceremony followed by an open house and a ticketed alumni dinner.

“Associated Students is especially proud of the university-wide partnership that has made sustainability a priority in the new hub for campus life,” A.S. President Josh Morse said.

Funding for the new union came solely from SDSU student-approved fees. The completed building will be twice as large as The Aztec Center built in 1968, which was the first student union in the California State University system.

For more information about the Aztec Student Union opening visit www.aztecstudentunion.com  Also check out this article for the full list of amenities and services.

Update: The article was corrected to indicate construction will end in December of this year and the Aztec Student Union will be available for tours starting in January of Spring 2014.