Men’s golf finishes strong in fall finale

Photo courtesy of Stan Liu
Photo courtesy of Stan Liu

The fall season for the San Diego State men’s golf team concluded Tuesday at the Alister MacKenzie Invitational in Sonoma.

The Aztecs finished eighth in the 16-team field, boosted by a strong showing from all five players including junior Xander Schauffele, who shot a 5-under 211 during the three-round tournament. Schauffele’s performance also helped him finish in a tie for 10th place.

SDSU was also bolstered by a strong finish from Riccardo Michelini, who shot up nine spots on the final day by shooting a 2-under 70. Michelini finished the tournament with a 2-under 214 for his three rounds, and tied for 18th place.

Ricky DeSantis finished at 1-under par, after shooting 3-under the first day, 3-over the second day, and 1-under the final day which included a birdie on the very last hole to help him move up five spots in the leaderboard.

Kevin Ko also shot a 2-under 70 on the final round to finish at 1-over for the tournament while Austin Kaiser finished with a three-round score of 7-over.

Overall, the University of California, Berkeley won the tournament with a team score of 39-under par, and took individual accolades in three of the top five spots with Joel Stalter grabbing first place at 13-under par.

Despite finishing with a total team score of 9-under par, SDSU head coach Ryan Donovan thinks the team can get better, and really appreciates the value of a fall season.

[quote] “It enables you to see things we need to work on and realize where we are in terms of other teams. I think we are a top 25 program,” Donovan said.[/quote]

Now that the fall season is over, the Aztecs have a four-month layoff before getting back into competition in February at The Prestige at PGA West in La Quinta.

[quote]“I think we have a very good team this year. The spring has a little more weight; we can work on things for the next four months. I feel really confident with this team,” Donovan said.[/quote]

Photo courtesy of Stan Liu