Lyft

Features

October 6, 2013

Art lives at “Poetry and Art Series”

10_03_13_Features_PoertySeries2_JM

After examining Stegosaurus bones or the constructions of ancient man, most people assume museums are collection of extinct artifacts. Balboa Park’s San Diego Art Institute Museum of the Living Artist, however, defies extinction.

On Sept. 26 the museum hosted an event catered to all senses. The energy of a concert, the elegance of an art show and the camaraderie of a family all fused together for one night at the “Poetry and Art Series.” Art not only lives and breathes at the San Diego Art Institute—it thrives.

Even though music, film and TV flourish in the west, other types of art aren’t always popular.

“Most people don’t care about poetry or other forms of art. They think it’s unnecessary,” 2012 San Diego State Master’s of fine arts student Dean C. Robertson said.

Another graduate of the MFA program agrees.

“What kind of jobs out there are specifically poetry-based, for example?” MFA student David Rhei said.  “What can you really do?”

Both alumni work in fields entirely unrelated to the arts, despite their poetic prowess. The “Poetry and Art Series” provides an opportunity for both to return to the creative realm.

Robertson and Rhei were not the only MFA students in attendance.  The poetry-passionate graduates publish their work in Poetry International.

“Many people have this apprehension toward poetry, that it’s tough to understand or too intellectual, and they’re wrong,” MFA graduate and Poetry International copy editor Carly Miller said.  “You can access poetry through its music; even finding one line you enjoy or relate to in a poem can cause you to fall in love with poetry in general.”

Kathleen Miller, mother of the ambitious poet, is equally nonplussed about her daughter’s prospective career.

“When you do something you really have a lot of passion for, it brings success, a quality of life, joy, contentment,” Kathleen Miller said.

The “Poetry and Art Series” is hosted in a venue covered wall-to-wall with eccentric art and booming music.  The event was free to those who brought wine or snacks, both of which were in ample supply.

10_03_13_Features_PoertySeries1_JM

The “Poetry and Art Series” has a 12-year-old history of hosting various art events.  One memorable evening involved Mexican wrestlers, covered in paint, body-slamming a wrestling ring-sized canvas.

“We keep it fresh,” SDAI Poet Program Director Michael Klam said. “(The event) changes every time.”

The night of Sept. 26 felt like less of a show and more of an intimate profession of poetic passion.  Along with MFA students, award-winning Macedonian poet Nikola Madzirov performed. After a long period of music, mingling and art examination, attendees migrated to chairs and sat patiently. Utter silence filled the room, colorfully loud portraits now seemed quiet. The SDSU MFA students performed poems with names such as “Kissing Psycho-paths” and “How to Make Groceries.” Then Madzirov took the stage.

However, the evening did not end there.  The open-mic portion of the event showcased just as much talent, including a profound spoken-word piece by the event’s DJ, Gill Sotu.

“It’s a lot more appealing to have multiple elements,” Klam said.  “Audiences appreciate the beauty. Plus, it’s natural for artists to come together and share their work, and to appreciate others’ work.”

Klam has no qualms about his program’s future or art’s practicality in today’s economic climate.

“There’s no reason why you can’t do both (art and another profession). Whatever you choose, passion should make its way into your daily life,” Klam said.

After witnessing the spectacular “Poetry and Art Series,” one may believe art is back from the dead and no longer a museum display, no longer a skeleton to be locked away every night with the Tyrannosaurus Rex and Neanderthals. Then again, maybe art never died.

All photos by Jenna Mackey, staff photographer

Richard Freeland

Screenshot of Student Success Fee email.

Student Success Fee survey closes with low participation

The Student Success Fee survey, which was sent out for the first time April 7th, closed with 2,594 student votes last Friday. This survey was the only opportunity for the students to provide feedback on what courses they though...
by Camille Lozano
0

04_24_14_Features_West_MonicaLinzmeier

Event will “start up” student careers

Looking for a job or internship can be a challenging task. Thankfully, San Diego State is making it easier with Start-up @ State. Hosted by the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center, the Entrepreneur Society and Startup Circle, Start-u...
by Melissa Artobello
0

04_24_14_Sports_tonygwynn_MonicaLinzmeier

Tony Gwynn takes leave of absence

San Diego State head baseball coach and Major League Baseball Hall of Famer Tony Gywnn, has taken a leave of absence from coaching, dating back to March 24 due to medical conditions. Growing up in San Diego a huge Padres fan, G...
by Ryan Posner
0

04_24_14_Entertainment_Wondercon2_DavidDixon

Enjoying all aspects of pop culture in Anaheim

People who religiously attend Comic-Con in San Diego as I do are probably familiar with WonderCon in Anaheim. While I’ve known about it for years, I was not exactly sure what to expect upon entering the Anaheim Convention Cen...
by David Dixon
0

04_24_14_Entertainment_FifthBeatle_DavidDixon

Learning about ‘The Fifth Beatle’

Vivek J. Tiwary is the writer of the graphic novel, “The Fifth Beatle,” and a producer of many successful plays and musicals including “American Idiot” and “The Producers.” He will be writing the script to the film ...
by David Dixon
0