5025 Apartments

Daily Aztec Stories

October 21, 2013

Aztec homecoming court revealed at SDSU

Written by: Camille Lozano
SONY DSC

As the “Rise of The Aztecs” Homecoming kicks off, the 14 students chosen to represent San Diego State this fall in the 2013 Homecoming Court have been revealed.

From a selection of 38 applicants this year, seven women and seven men were chosen by the Homecoming Court Selection Committee based on their academic efforts and community and campus involvement, Student Life advisor Patsy Armstrong said.

Alexa Barraza, Victoria Clark, Sonia Holzman, Sophia Huynh, Marina Mantos, Dajanae Palmer, and Kristyl Smith are the women nominated for the court this year.

Kodi Bobier, Antonio Cinotto, Javier Gomez, Jordan Harrison, Darius Koohmarey, Joshua Morse, and Colby Smith are the men.

The seven Selection Committee members, which are made up of faculty, staff and one alumni member, were part of the deliberation process. Members come from areas such as SDSU’s College of Sciences and the Educational Opportunity Program, Armstrong said.

Assistant Student Life advisor Richard Eberheart said that since the early 1950s, SDSU has recognized student leaders who have promoted the mission of the university through nominations to the homecoming court.

Kristyl Smith, psychology senior, said she was not expecting her nomination from the Student African American Sisterhood, an organization she is an active member in.

“It is an absolute honor to be a part of the homecoming court,” Smith said. “I had no idea I was being considered for nomination until the week before the application was due. If I were to win, it would be the ultimate recognition of my growth and accomplishments.”

Bobier, communication senior, was nominated by SDSU Ambassadors.

“Winning and being selected as the homecoming king would mean that I was able to provide a sense of hope for people,” he said. “I come from a low-income background where college was a dream, not so much a reality. If I win, I am winning for everyone out there who has dreams of becoming something big and making a difference in the world.”

One of the benefits in securing the coveted homecoming crowns is receiving funding from the university that will be used to hold a community service event during the spring semester.

Many of the court nominees expressed their excitement at the possibility of attaining the funding to use for an event of their choice.

“If I were to win, it would mean gratitude and compassion,”Senior Huynh, a public health and pre-med, said. “I will give back to the community that has believed in me and be the best person I can for them.”

Colby Smith,International security and conflict resolution senior, offered insight into his community service event intentions as a member of the Student Veterans Organization.

“To be selected as the 2013-14 SDSU homecoming king would present me with an opportunity to reach out to our global community with a project that would enable San Diego State University students an opportunity to help suffering people across the world,” Smith said.

Members of the court said they were thankful for the nominations and now look forward to the possibilities that come with the crowning of king and queen.

“Once again we have an amazing group of students representing SDSU as the Homecoming Court and I expect nothing but great things from this group,” Eberheart said.

The king and queen will be announced during the Aztecs homecoming game vs. the Fresno State Bulldogs on Saturday, Oct. 26.

Photo by Kelly Smiley

Camille Lozano

Screenshot of Student Success Fee email.

Student Success Fee survey closes with low participation

The Student Success Fee survey, which was sent out for the first time April 7th, closed with 2,594 student votes last Friday. This survey was the only opportunity for the students to provide feedback on what courses they though...
by Camille Lozano
0

04_24_14_opinon_taxes_thinkstock

Students are missing out on essential life skills

The phrase “growing up” entails many things. Usually, the first aspect that comes to mind is responsibility. I’m talking about­­ real, personal responsibility, part of which is financial responsibility. Throughout the y...
by Kelly Gardner
0

04_24_14_Opinion_Coachella_WesleyBeights

Coachella is about the music, not outfits and celebrities

There are two three-day weekends in April that are filled with music, a little bit of art, trendy and ridiculous outfits, and some hot celebrities. This shindig is called Coachella, but I’m sure I didn’t need to tel...
by Sabrina Shahawi
0

04_24_14_Features_West_MonicaLinzmeier

Event will “start up” student careers

Looking for a job or internship can be a challenging task. Thankfully, San Diego State is making it easier with Start-up @ State. Hosted by the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center, the Entrepreneur Society and Startup Circle, Start-u...
by Melissa Artobello
0

Comcast Reports Quarterly Earnings Rise 16 Percent

‘Worst Company in America’ contest reveals concerning priorities

There is another bracket that’s worth some attention during March madness. It’s none other than the annual Consumerist’s Worst Company in America awards. Every year since 2010, consumers have voted and awarded the coveted...
by KC Stanfield
0