5025 Apartments

Daily Aztec Stories

October 21, 2013

Aztec homecoming court revealed at SDSU

Written by: Camille Lozano
SONY DSC

As the “Rise of The Aztecs” Homecoming kicks off, the 14 students chosen to represent San Diego State this fall in the 2013 Homecoming Court have been revealed.

From a selection of 38 applicants this year, seven women and seven men were chosen by the Homecoming Court Selection Committee based on their academic efforts and community and campus involvement, Student Life advisor Patsy Armstrong said.

Alexa Barraza, Victoria Clark, Sonia Holzman, Sophia Huynh, Marina Mantos, Dajanae Palmer, and Kristyl Smith are the women nominated for the court this year.

Kodi Bobier, Antonio Cinotto, Javier Gomez, Jordan Harrison, Darius Koohmarey, Joshua Morse, and Colby Smith are the men.

The seven Selection Committee members, which are made up of faculty, staff and one alumni member, were part of the deliberation process. Members come from areas such as SDSU’s College of Sciences and the Educational Opportunity Program, Armstrong said.

Assistant Student Life advisor Richard Eberheart said that since the early 1950s, SDSU has recognized student leaders who have promoted the mission of the university through nominations to the homecoming court.

Kristyl Smith, psychology senior, said she was not expecting her nomination from the Student African American Sisterhood, an organization she is an active member in.

“It is an absolute honor to be a part of the homecoming court,” Smith said. “I had no idea I was being considered for nomination until the week before the application was due. If I were to win, it would be the ultimate recognition of my growth and accomplishments.”

Bobier, communication senior, was nominated by SDSU Ambassadors.

“Winning and being selected as the homecoming king would mean that I was able to provide a sense of hope for people,” he said. “I come from a low-income background where college was a dream, not so much a reality. If I win, I am winning for everyone out there who has dreams of becoming something big and making a difference in the world.”

One of the benefits in securing the coveted homecoming crowns is receiving funding from the university that will be used to hold a community service event during the spring semester.

Many of the court nominees expressed their excitement at the possibility of attaining the funding to use for an event of their choice.

“If I were to win, it would mean gratitude and compassion,”Senior Huynh, a public health and pre-med, said. “I will give back to the community that has believed in me and be the best person I can for them.”

Colby Smith,International security and conflict resolution senior, offered insight into his community service event intentions as a member of the Student Veterans Organization.

“To be selected as the 2013-14 SDSU homecoming king would present me with an opportunity to reach out to our global community with a project that would enable San Diego State University students an opportunity to help suffering people across the world,” Smith said.

Members of the court said they were thankful for the nominations and now look forward to the possibilities that come with the crowning of king and queen.

“Once again we have an amazing group of students representing SDSU as the Homecoming Court and I expect nothing but great things from this group,” Eberheart said.

The king and queen will be announced during the Aztecs homecoming game vs. the Fresno State Bulldogs on Saturday, Oct. 26.

Photo by Kelly Smiley

Camille Lozano

DA-Blogs

Crazy thing called life

I’m finally beginning to understand that the only definite thing in life is death. Morbid, but true. You can plan things all you want, but there’s never a solid guarantee they’re going to happen the way you think they wil...
by Caitlin Johnson
0

Donky Pitch

New releases from the exciting Donky Pitch

As you scour through the internet for new dance music, you are bound to stumble upon an iconic  silhouette of a donkey kicking out its hind legs. That silhouette is the proud logo of the exciting electronic music label Donky P...
by Ryo Miyauchi
0

stack of movies

Happy endings, unrequited love and all that drama: How movies have ruined real-life dating

Ask me what my favorite romantic movie is and without hesitation, I’ll tell you it’s author Nicholas Sparks’ best seller-turned-cinematic-masterpiece “A Walk To Remember.” If you haven’t read the book or seen the fi...
by Victoria Valenzuela
1

04_17_14_Entertainment_DaveMustaine_TravisShinn

Two distinct musical worlds collide

Last Saturday’s performance at Copley Symphony Hall was one to remember for the those who experienced the first ever “Symphony Interrupted,” showcasing Dave Mustaine as a soloist for the San Diego Symphony. What made it u...
by Josselyn Molina
0

04_17_14_Entertainment_METALGEARSOLID_JordanPollock

‘Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes’ is short but sweet

After years of teaser trailers and the whole Moby Dick Studios thing, the first bit of “Metal Gear Solid V” has finally been released in the form of “Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.” Since its release, people hav...
by Jordan Pollock
0